Rangemaster into FF in same box

Started by Joe Hart, September 29, 2004, 12:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hart

I'm going to put together a RM and a FF in the same box (RM first). All I have to do it just connect the output of the RM directly to the input cap of the FF, right (well, through another stomp switch, but I can handle that part)? Also, I have room for four knobs (2 for FF, 1 for RM). What would be the most useful fourth knob? I was thinking an input cap blend control for the FF. Any thoughts?
-Joe Hart

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Mike Burgundy

either some tonecontrol - either before or after the FF, or a biaspot for weird gating fun.

Steben

Quote from: Joe HartI'm going to put together a RM and a FF in the same box (RM first). All I have to do it just connect the output of the RM directly to the input cap of the FF, right (well, through another stomp switch, but I can handle that part)? Also, I have room for four knobs (2 for FF, 1 for RM). What would be the most useful fourth knob? I was thinking an input cap blend control for the FF. Any thoughts?
-Joe Hart

Nice thoughts, should be somewhat FAT GERMS-like sounding, I guess.
I would make it a rotary switch to switch between input caps on the RM input. (0.047-0.01- 0.005-...)

4k7 + 4k7 pot will be more usefull I guess than the 10k at the collector of the RM transistor (pot to power), Otherwise it will be waaaaay too much gain for fuzz face use, don't forget the RM output impedance will be maximum 10k, that's quite little to drive a FF (huge gain, very little high roll-off). But maybe you want sci-fi gains!
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Steben

I was thinking the other day of a RM into a MXR dist+ actually. Think it will be very Led Zeppy...
  • SUPPORTER

Gringo

I did exactly that long time ago, and with some tweaking i really liked the results. I didn't make it switchable, though.

here's the (final?) schem:

http://gr1ng0.tripod.com/RangerFace/rangerface.GIF

Have fun!
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

RDV

You could call it "The Hissmaster"!
I've run my rangemaster clone into my various FF clones and it does sound good, but the hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss....is outrageous.

Joe Hart

Quote from: Steben4k7 + 4k7 pot will be more usefull I guess than the 10k at the collector of the RM transistor (pot to power), Otherwise it will be waaaaay too much gain for fuzz face use, don't forget the RM output impedance will be maximum 10k, that's quite little to drive a FF (huge gain, very little high roll-off). But maybe you want sci-fi gains!

This makes it sound like it's not a very good combo. I always heard that it was a classic pairing of effects. Hmm??
-Joe Hart

Steben

Quote from: RDVYou could call it "The Hissmaster"!
I've run my rangemaster clone into my various FF clones and it does sound good, but the hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss....is outrageous.

hmmm, maybe using a FET booster in front of a FF is better. Especially when the boost is subtle. You can still use caps to get an extra treble boost than.
  • SUPPORTER

Gringo

Quote from: RDVYou could call it "The Hissmaster"!

I haven't noticed excesive hiss in my build (for a high gain fuzz, that is).
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

bobbletrox

Isn't the main attraction of the Rangemaster (besides being Ge) that the output interacts with tube amps in a nice way?  IMHO you may as well use a quiter silicon based boost in front of the FF circuit.  Perhaps make a negative ground FF with an AMZ Mosfet Boost in front of it?

Steve C

You could look at Joe Gagan's Skyripper Fuzz Schematic and see what he did.

bwanasonic

I like the RM and F(uzz) F(ace) together, both RM>FF and FF>RM, so I prefer the flexability of having them as *discrete* pedals. I also considered a 2-in-1 pedal at one point, but couldn't decide on which FX order I preferred .

Kerry M

Steben

Quote from: bobbletroxIsn't the main attraction of the Rangemaster (besides being Ge) that the output interacts with tube amps in a nice way?  IMHO you may as well use a quiter silicon based boost in front of the FF circuit.  Perhaps make a negative ground FF with an AMZ Mosfet Boost in front of it?

A FET booster has the advantage you can back off the guitar volume without as much high loss than it is the case with a RaMaster. All BJT boosters have too low an input impedance to keep the response stable when you twiggle with your guitar. In fact backing off your volume together with losing some highs is a feature of the RM I sometimes like! But it is not allways usefull...
  • SUPPORTER

bobbletrox

Hey yeah.  Good point.  The world of boosts befuddles me.  :o

As for the bias knob, is that the same as the "Contour" control on the Boutique Fuzz Face, or is it simply like the bias trimmer on the Easy Face?  It's a bit confusing because the Boutique Fuzz Face has a "bias" control that looks more like an impedance control.