Softening the TS-softclipper?

Started by Steben, September 29, 2004, 04:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

Anyone here who has experience in placing complicated diode pairs in non-inverting OpAmp circuits (like in the TubeScreamers...). I mean more than just one pair?
(2 back to back LED's in series with a resistor, with 2 Si diodes parallel to the resistor; for very soft clipping etc...)

I want to know whether it makes sense to do this, or whether this doesn't change that much to an already soft clipper (non-inverting feeback loop).
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

mlabbee

my TS-clone switches between the normal si pair and an si/LED combo - big, big difference in sound.  I tried a number of combinations (germanium, asymetrical, etc.)  Most of the usual alternatives did not make a huge difference in sound to my (admittedly "easy") ears.

petemoore

Mess around with the diodes and the cap parallel to them, double the diodes for a higher clipping threshold...turn -->l-- into -->l-->l-- using whatever diodes you want to try, you can even try three in a row in one direction, two the other....possibilities are numerous.
 "Simple Mods and Tips" on Aron's Stompbox Page tells about diode mods I think...
 Ge's clip the hardest [lowest clipping threshold]
 Si's let more signal through don't clip as hard
 LED's clip the least hard, and let the most signal out.
 also you can try other types of Si or Zener etc.
 What opamp you use will change the character of the distortion also.
 I like 4558 [most do I guess] in TS. But 5534 is also cleaner and low noise...TL072 is a good one...the all sound a little different.
 You can also alter the gain of the circuit
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Aharon

It's called compliance if I'm reading what you want right.
There's a little schem at AMZ I think.
Aharon
Aharon

Steben

Quote from: AharonIt's called compliance if I'm reading what you want right.
There's a little schem at AMZ I think.
Aharon

Sorry for the confusion, but I don't know how to figure out what you mean with "compliance", my motherlanguage is not english, so I'm grabbing a bit in the dark with what you try to say. The best I can come up with is "willingness" or something...?
  • SUPPORTER

Steben

I guess you where referring to the "warp" controls?
  • SUPPORTER

Phorhas

Try some BS170 Mosfet -> Si Diode *2 (BtB). they are supposed to be rounder and more pleasing
Electron Pusher

Aharon

Sorry steben,it's a control that softens the clipping of the diodes,I think it uses a pot ,maybe a resistor/cap and the diodes,it's at AMZ somewhere.
Aharon
Aharon