Hex EH Micro Synth

Started by Vsat, September 30, 2004, 04:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vsat

Fixing up an EH Micro Synth (chip datecodes are 1979-1980)... this one has 25 chips, 14 of which are CA3094.. the rest are RC4558, plus a CD4013 and NE5554.

This is different from the schematics I've seen on the net, which have seven of the CA3094. I traced the schematic from the PCB and the main difference is that the additional OTA's provide remote level control for the octave, suboctave, distortion and guitar signals, rather than sending the signals directly through  slide pots. The regen level is also controlled by an OTA. Wonder why they did it this way? Perhaps EH was developing a polyphonic synth with a hex pickup - with a single group of sliders setting the parameters for all six channels at once... anyone EH historians on the list?
Regards, Mike

puretube

are they "integrated" in the PCB layout?

(the datacode on the ICs themselves just tell you, that EH bought them quite a while ago :wink: )

StephenG., and Howard Davis have some genealogic knowhow...

Vsat

Fairly nice looking light-green epoxy-fiberglass PCB with soldermask.... all of the parts with datecodes have about the same date... including the RC4558. I assume/hope this isn't the reissue. The 14-pin regulator chip sure runs toasty though... +/-22V in...
Mike

jimbob

Sounds like my re-issue. Takes a 24v which actually only used around 15. I have the same green epoxy board. I didnt think the originals had that king of board.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Vsat

Hi Jimbob,
The unit here has a power cord attached and a built-in transformer,
does your reissue use a wallwart? This one says "made in USA" near the bottom, doesn't look that old, except for the chips.
Regards, Mike

jimbob

I dont have the built in trans w power cord but from what i understand they can be built that way differently though.  I have some Eh stuff ( Del Memory man) that has a wall wart  and is new but there are also others that have one built in that are new.

example-http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=effects/search/detail/base_pid/153306/

I think ..Im not going to try to figure out EH.. I see a lot of variety with that company.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

puretube

afaik: powerchord=vintage; wallwart=re-issue... (cc. microsynth)

jimbob

thanks Puretube- wasnt sure bout that one. Is that the rule? New ones have the wall wart  and old ones the built  in cable?
'
So according to the musicians friend web site there selling vintage?

//www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=effects/search/detail/base_pid/153306/

puretube

Quote from: puretubeafaik: powerchord=vintage; wallwart=re-issue... (cc. microsynth)
:roll:

maybe it`s better to ask the "E-H Man"

jimbob

Quotemaybe it`s better to ask the "E-H Man"
[/url]

You lost me there? Answer =?

puretube

check The EH Bulletin Board here for possibly definite answers:
http://electroharmonix.ronsound.com/

I didn`t say "rule", but "concerning MS"

But as a rule, I can say: there is no rule... :?

StephenGiles

Mike, I have the circuits for that version at home. I had a couple of non working units from EH UK, and yes, the regulator chips certainly ran hot. I remember changing it for more traditional 78 & 79 types which cured that problem. It would have been nice to have had an envelope follower function on the VCF, as it was all there in the control circuitry.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Vsat

Hi Steve,
Seems a bit excessive to put +/-22V into the regulator for +/-11V out. Swapping it for a pair of 3-terminal regulators probably wise in a "pre-emptive surgery" sense.

Unit is working nicely now.. a lot of fun really...even though the VCF sweep is the same for each note ;D

Total of three blown RC4558 in there. So, no "EH Poly-Micro" in the archives?
Regards, Mike