good pics of a Zonk on ebay

Started by nightingale, October 01, 2004, 12:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightingale

hey guys~
i didn't ralize it was fuzz. i might have to have to build a clone.  did we ever figure out what was going on with the treble boost circuit? the archives look pretty undecided..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41416&item=3750786759&rd=1

fuzz on,
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Aharon

Just to let you guys know that's not mine,mine is in much better shape.......hehehehe.
There's a full project file at GEO,with article,schem and PCB for both the Zonk and the companion booster.
Aharon :D
Aharon

The Tone God

Interesting. I can note some difference between that one and the shell of mine.

1. The foot switch looks like a DPST that has been wired to be a SPDT. Mine has a DPDT switch, which has a small crack in it but still works perfectly after all these years. Why can't switches still be made that way ?

2. The back plate, that he made in this case, would have contained the Hornby Skews label and battery holder.

3. There seems to be no serial number stamped on the output side of the case.

4. It looks like the bottom of mine has been spray painted with a gold to red candy flake paint.

5. Mine use more sheilded wire especially on the jacks and  foot switch.

6. My battery clip is red also but its hard plastic not the vinyl platic like his.

I'm point these things out just for history/production difference sake. Still love the thing. Just wished mine worked.

Andrew

Aharon

Quote from: The Tone GodInteresting. I can note some difference between that one and the shell of mine.

1. The foot switch looks like a DPST that has been wired to be a SPDT. Mine has a DPDT switch, which has a small crack in it but still works perfectly after all these years. Why can't switches still be made that way ?

2. The back plate, that he made in this case, would have contained the Hornby Skews label and battery holder.

3. There seems to be no serial number stamped on the output side of the case.

4. It looks like the bottom of mine has been spray painted with a gold to red candy flake paint.

5. Mine use more sheilded wire especially on the jacks and  foot switch.

6. My battery clip is red also but its hard plastic not the vinyl platic like his.

I'm point these things out just for history/production difference sake. Still love the thing. Just wished mine worked.

Andrew

In the same vein:

1)Mine has a SPDT
2)Mine has the Label
3)Don't remember and I don't want to dig it out.
4)The one I have is the same blue hammer finish all over.
5)Yes to shielded wire
6)Battery clip red
Aharon
Aharon

Stuart

brian wenz

hello Hello-
    Ryan-- Thanks for the heads-up.......I guess I'll have to make one, now!
Brian.

Aharon

Quote from: StuartEither of you want to sell?   :)

Hey Stuart,you collect effects?.You should be able to find them aplenty in the UK.
I'm not selling mine but thanks for asking.
TAke care
Aharon
Aharon

The Tone God

Quote from: Aharon
In the same vein:

1)Mine has a SPDT
2)Mine has the Label
3)Don't remember and I don't want to dig it out.
4)The one I have is the same blue hammer finish all over.
5)Yes to shielded wire
6)Battery clip red

So since they used various foot swtiches it looks like they used whatever foot switch they could get ahold of. The rest of mine is the blue finish. Its just the bottom is painted gold/red. I suspect the previous owner painted mine since he was into cars. Is your battery clip hard plastic ?

Quote from: StuartEither of you want to sell? Smile

Nope. I've had mine since I was a kid so I have some attachment to it. The fuzz died many years ago and the board is gone so most of its value is gone because of that. I resurrected the case a few years ago and put in a fuzz of my own design in. I thought about "restoring" it with a new circuit built to original specs but I just can't leave well enough alone and starting playing with the circuit. Its become a different beast now which I'll post in some time at the site. The case will countinue to carry the same board it has now for the momment.

IIRC while the fuzzes were built in the UK most of them were export to Canada . Thats why I'm not surprised another Canadian has one as well. Many years ago I found one in a shop for like $60 CDN. When I went down to buy it a few days later I found out it was sold to some guy who bought it for his kid. Damn.

I've had people tell me after seeing me play with the fuzz that they tried to find another one for themselves. I don't tell them that I put a different board in because I think they'll be dissapointed with what they find, atleast be dissapointed that it doesn't sound like my fuzz, and hopefully sell it to me on the cheap saving me the leg work. Yeah ,maybe. :roll:

Andrew

Aharon

Is your battery clip hard plastic ?
Andrew

No it's soft.
Aharon
Aharon

Torchy

Quote from: AharonHey Stuart,you collect effects?.You should be able to find them aplenty in the UK.

Nope, in my experience no more in UK than elsewhere ... and they charge silly money for them ...

Paul Marossy

So is the Zonker one of those fuzz circuits that essentially makes square waves? In other words, really fuzzy sounding?

I ask because some "fuzz" circuits can end up sounding more like an OD/dist than fuzz...

The Tone God

Yep the Zonk is a real fuzz. I have an updated version coming up soon with lots of mods. Fun little thing.

Andrew

brian wenz

Hello Andrew--
    Would you say it's close to Tonebender MK II type fuzz??
Brian.

brian wenz

Hello Again--
    This is without the "treble booster", correct??
Brian.

Paul Marossy

Are there soundclips of an original, or a clone that sounds like the original? I'm just curious about what it sounds like...

nightingale

i'm have the parts in my bin to  breadboard the 2 tranny version~
http://bryant02.home.att.net/schematics/zonkIIschem.gif
i'll give an update in the morning..
the "swell"  wiring looks interesting.. what is that 2m2 doing there?
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com