OT? Question about oscilloscope probes

Started by David, October 01, 2004, 09:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

I got my e-Bay oscilloscope tonight!  It powers up and the trace moves, speeds up and slows down!  Looking good!  OK, now some questions:

I also picked a 10M probe a while back.  It has a BNC connector.  The oscilloscope, unfortunately, does not.  It has some kind of screw connector.  Is there some kind of adapter for this catastrophe?  If not, does anyone know how to create a DIY solution for this?  I know zilch about scopes.

HELP!  PLEASE!   :shock:   :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Paul Marossy

My first thought is to replace the screw thing with a BNC jack...

David

Quote from: Paul MarossyMy first thought is to replace the screw thing with a BNC jack...

That's a good thought.  I have no doco on this scope, and all I can find on the Web is who manufactured it.  This thing's probably about as old as I am (OK, Paul, I was just kidding about the wood-fired amplifiers, now...).

The connector looks like the screw connector on old high-impedance mikes or slide guitars.  Got any suggestions about how to proceed?  I guess for $5 I can't complain, but I think I'd like to go for an adapter cable if at all possible.  I really don't want to open up high-voltage equipment!

Paul Marossy

Oh, I think I know what kind of connector you are talking about now. Someone may make an adapter for that, but it might be easiest to to just make an adapter cable as you suggest.

Boofhead

You can buy adaptors.  They are all metal with the screw on pin on one end and the BNC female on the other.  Price should be around US$5.

David

Quote from: BoofheadYou can buy adaptors.  They are all metal with the screw on pin on one end and the BNC female on the other.  Price should be around US$5.

Thank God!  Who has them?

toneman

try:

http://www.pasternack.com/

i think U R refering to an "RF" connector.
Used on lots of early oscilloscopes.
Has kindof a raised button in the center of an insulator,
with male threads on the outside.
The opposite connector *also* has a "button"
in the middle of an insulator with internal threads.
Think it might B called an "N" connector.
Not positive.
Look thru the link.
If there's an adapter for it, Pasternack will have it!!
Maybe get a old probe (i used to have a demodulator probe)
and cut end off and use a crimp-on BNC.
Best/easist 2 C if one exists already.
staytuned
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

David

Quote from: tonemantry:

http://www.pasternack.com/

i think U R refering to an "RF" connector.
Used on lots of early oscilloscopes.
Has kindof a raised button in the center of an insulator,
with male threads on the outside.
The opposite connector *also* has a "button"
in the middle of an insulator with internal threads.
Think it might B called an "N" connector.
Not positive.
Look thru the link.
If there's an adapter for it, Pasternack will have it!!
Maybe get a old probe (i used to have a demodulator probe)
and cut end off and use a crimp-on BNC.
Best/easist 2 C if one exists already.
staytuned
tone

Wow, you're good!  There are two connectors.  Like I said, there's a large one that looks like what you'd connect a cable for an old harmonica mike to.  There's also another similar but much smaller connector underneath for the ground.  Unfortunately, the outside frame for this connector seems to be somewhat bent.

So is the large connector (the microphone one) the N connector, or is it the little one?

Boofhead

This looks like the adaptors I've used previously:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/415e2ec3097029fe2741c0a87f9c06f6/Product/View/P2240

"UHF PL259 Plug - BNC Socket"  Dick Smith Part number P2240

Only $5.45 Australian.

Watch out though, your CRO might be different.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Pasternack has got pretty well everything.. but they are pretty expensive.
This one is pretty common, I've got them from Rockby over the years.

David

Quote from: BoofheadThis looks like the adaptors I've used previously:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/415e2ec3097029fe2741c0a87f9c06f6/Product/View/P2240

"UHF PL259 Plug - BNC Socket"  Dick Smith Part number P2240

Only $5.45 Australian.

Watch out though, your CRO might be different.

Unfortunately, it does seem to be different.  I'm not sure the tip of the UHF connector would work with the large plug I have.  To make matters more interesting, I have two different connectors I'm going to have fashion adapters for, and then connect those to the female BNC jack.  I don't think it's impossible, just daunting.  Do you think it's possible that only the "tips" on these connectors are used?  It looks like the "big" connector would take one of those old "screw-type Switchcraft high-impedance mike connectors".

Any other suggestions?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I tghink the one you are looking for is a push-on one, with a centre pin as well, rather than a screw on, am I right?
I see one on the ultra-fast risetime Tektronix pulse generator here, if that gives someone the idea of what it is called.

David

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)I tghink the one you are looking for is a push-on one, with a centre pin as well, rather than a screw on, am I right?
I see one on the ultra-fast risetime Tektronix pulse generator here, if that gives someone the idea of what it is called.

The vertical input is a screw connector with teeth.  The ground connector looks like it would be push-on, yes.

UPDATE:  This thing's also got banana plugs that are marked "CAL" or something like that.  Any chance I could use those for the input?

Ge_Whiz

Contact a shop that sells ham radio stuff. They'll almost certainly have the adaptor you want.

Paul Marossy

I could be wrong, but usually, on an oscilloscope the marking "CAL" would have something to do with calibrating the scope.

David

Quote from: Paul MarossyI could be wrong, but usually, on an oscilloscope the marking "CAL" would have something to do with calibrating the scope.

That was my first thought too.  However, you don't find out unless you ask.  Toneman is looking the situation over and seems to have a handle on what I'm going to have to do to create an adapter for my probe.  He says it's looking good.