Who's got a perf brand they love?

Started by bigjonny, October 03, 2004, 02:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjonny

Well, if you read my other post which mentions perf, you might think I hate it.  Not true; not true.  I just like things tidy, and PCBs are tidy.

However, we are stuck w/ perf in some cases, due to the economic/hassle factor(s).  I mean, who's gonna buy/make a PCB for a booster or fuzz, when the circuits are so simple?

That said, I have had a horrible experience w/ Radio Shack's perf:  the pads seem to pop off with great ease, and I am using a 12W iron (I have been soldering since 1987).

Anybody got a robust perf brand they love?

jimbob

I like the Rs ones. Im just real carefull. ONce i have the perfing done i get a dremmel out and drill away the padding anyway to keep things from toughing each other. That esp. with the more complicated perf projects where there are curves  ect..
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Greg Moss

I've just been using the RS perf.  Pad per hole works well(and I love the Smallbear stuff for that) but I tend to prototype stuff on perf, and I usually wind up losing the pad when I am wrangling with a cap value or something.  This should really be a lesson to me to use sockets more often... :)  But then of course the sockets I like (the mill-max ones) are too large to fit into the standard perf holes, so I wind up having to drill those out (along with the pad surrounding it... sigh).  

plus sometimes you can squeeze a lead into a little space that would have shorted to a pad if there were one....

Since I  can't imagine that non-padded perf varies that much between manufacturers, I figure the RS stuff is good enough, and reasonably priced....

-Greg

jimbob

Ive had just as many problems with the cool looking stuff Steve at Smallbear sells.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

bwanasonic

I don't want to imply I know what I'm doing, but I have never lost a pad with either the RS stuff or the much preferred smallbear plated-thru-hole stuff. I have only built about ten circuits on perf, but even after several resolderings I find both types hold up. I use the SIP sockets steve sells, and while they do not sit flush (the plastic base sits about 1/16" above the board) they work well, and you can even run insulated wire wrap wire between the posts for jumpers if you want to. I don't know much about soldering, but is it possible a 12W iron is too low a wattage, requiring you to keep the iron on a joint for too long? I use a 4 second count, and if it takes longer than that I turn up the iron a bit. Anyhow, I use the smallbear stuff whenever I have it, but I always have some of the RS stuff on hand. When soldering, get in and get out quick and you shouldn't have a problem.

Kerry M

cd

Quote from: Greg MossI've just been using the RS perf.  Pad per hole works well(and I love the Smallbear stuff for that) but I tend to prototype stuff on perf, and I usually wind up losing the pad when I am wrangling with a cap value or something.  This should really be a lesson to me to use sockets more often... :)  

If you're just prototyping stuff, you NEED to get a breadboard :)