ot: silly fire idea...

Started by Branimir, October 03, 2004, 03:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Branimir

heh

i couldn't sleep two nights ago and was thinking about how eric sardinas lit up his guitar on one concert, he turned it towards the ground and spilt some whiskey on the body (of the guitar) - then ignite it...

so he jumped around and played guitar but - well, what the hell, that's no problem...

so i though about putting some whiskey on the fretboard - ignite it - and play then...

so bassit (he's a volounteer fireman) said i should use lighter gasoline since it doesn't leave the stains (LOL) after it has burned - and gasoline will surely clean the strings a bit ...

actually..
the only thing that bothers me - is how long will it burn? i mean - if i spray a few lines acros the fretboard i reckon it'll burn for a minute max.. and if my fingers are fast enough - i won't burn myself much  :shock:  :shock:  :lol:

and after that minute i hope it won't ignite the lacquer on the fretboard since then it would be all jelly across the neck and i guess it would be hard to play afterwards :oops: .

anyway...

dunno... i'll try it on something else first..
if it burns out well - i'll definitly do that on one gig when i feel in the mood for a bit of pyrotehnics...   :D

comments welcome

ps: did anyone ever had any similiar ideas?
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

lightningfingers

I did a similar thing when i performed at an out door party, i used lighter fluid to ignite my guitar body.

I burned my sleeve and it was a bugger to put out.

Lighting the neck isnt a very good idea (not that lighting any part of the guitar then attempting to play it is a good idea), even if you can play up to steve vai's standards, you'll still burn your fingers, and your strings will probably snap from the heat (bass strings may survive, but their quality will be degraded).

If you want good pyrotechnichs at a gig, get someone qualified to do the job, if something goes wrong you might get in some serious trouble. Or you could do the rammstein burning mic stand thing, just dont stand too close :roll:

My 2 cents...
U N D E F I N E D

Branimir

heh, thanks

i guess i should be careful not to burn my half back long hair  :lol:

qualified pyrotehnician? i don't have money for that..

anyway..

guess i'll leave it for some better days heh...
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

Ge_Whiz

Anyone planning a stunt like this should take a leaf from the Fire-Eater's Manual and use naphtha. The flames produced are much cooler than other flammables. Gasoline would be suicidal, especially indoors. [BTW I'm not recommending that anyone try anything this daft.]

smoguzbenjamin

I wouldn't try burning anything half as valuable as my guitar! Get a cheap guitar for $40 and use that. If it isn't playable afterwards, you haven't lost a lot of $$$ and you just pulled a pretty cool stunt.

...Although I wouldn't attempt this without a fireproof suit though :|
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

strungout

No offense, but I think that's stupid, dangerous and cliche.

Now, if you wanna light up a fart, that'd be cool :p
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

Peter Snowberg

Take a lesson from Great White and forget the pyrotechnics.

Try that on stage with the fire marshall in the house and you just earned a big fine and the closure of the venue.

Next time you're ready to change strings, hold a BIC lighter next to your high E for a second and see just jow long it takes them to get destroyed.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Get a hollowbody, put some water in it, and then drop in a chunk of dry ice. :roll:  :shock:   :lol:

Branimir

i don't want be recognized as a moron on these boards, please!

anyways since talking about fire's and stuff...

i always wondered how did SRV or Gallagher got their guitars so beaten up?

i mean, i'm no saint, but i don't destruct my guitar either, took some bruises over time, but i mean, it takes quite an effort to "mess up" your guitar like those guys did...

well, perhaps in 10 years, mine will look like that, dunno, but it often crossed my mind what methods of instrument abuse did they used to "decorate" their guitars.

what the hell, to be honest, i like that..
it's an instrument - it's a part of their lives, it delievers emotions, and it looks like it's been through alot.
i never liked guitar guys that polish their guitars - that felt sterile to me.
guitars are to be played on, and they should look like they've been through the whole and heaven/hell like the owner's been through...
Umor

Mike Burgundy

No cosmetic method.
Just play, play, and play hard. For years on end.

RDV

I've got a strat I bought in 94' that's well on it's way to looking like SRV's or Rory's. It's all about living with the things and not treating them like gold or something.

I'll never forget going to a jam here in Tampa when I 1st got here, and there was a guy there bragging about his vintage guitar and amp. How much he spent restoring this and that, then he got up and played the rig like it was made out of glass and was gonna break any second(he sucked).

Then it was my turn to get up there and plugged my beat-up 94' strat into his 63' Vibro-Lux and turned it all the way up and blasted for like a half-hour RDV style. After we were done he ran up on stage and grabbed precious little amp and ran out of there quick before some other savage beast assaulted his vintage gear.

Whale on that thing and the wear will naturally develop.

RDV

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Sex&drugs&rockNroll... two of these can be bad for your gear.

Ge_Whiz

Gallagher's brother explains how Rory had particularly acidic sweat that caused him to have to change strings every gig and eventually stripped the paint off his guitar. Interesting, but I have a copy of an interview with Rory Gallagher from the mid-seventies in which the man himself explains that his Strat got stolen and was found six months later having spent the entire winter lying out in somebody's garden. He had it fixed up as quickly as possible, but never had time to have it refinished.

Hmmm... Now, I wonder which version I believe?  :lol:

If Gallagher's sweat was that acidic, I'm glad I never shook hands with him!