amz Son of a screamer: opinion?

Started by nooneknows, October 03, 2004, 04:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nooneknows

Hi,
I'd like to try a simplified Tube Screamer (no buffer) and that circuit seems to fit. does anybody have build it? what do you think about it?
thanks
M.

Wailin

I have built one, and an exact clone of a ts808, and i believe that the ones with the input/output buffers have a little more...mojo to them.  I can't nail it down, maybe they sound a little smoother?.  I do think however, by building your own and eliminating the switching jfets and going true-bypass, that you get a better screamer regardless.

stm

Hey, don't forget the Alexa Overdrive.

swal

i have built two sos and love them. there easy to build and sound awesome. build it
S J Waldner

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

nooneknows

thanks!
I knew the Tube Reamer but I'd like to have a tone control too and, in some way, I'm interested in a Red Snapper type of sound (I've been told it has to be quite similiar).
I don't know the Alexa: is there any schematics around?
bye
M.

Dave Z

Nooneknows -the Alexa was a few minor tweaks on the Orman SOS. You can check out the schem & build pics here:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/fenderelectric

in  "Stomp Projects"

Basically, it gives you full-range - no midrange hump, switcahble async/sync clipping (or half clipping, like the Comp Cut switch on a fulld***) and the harmonics control makes the tone control USEFUL for a change. Works great, I love it.

Ed G.

It might be worth trying some of those newfangled opamps in the SOS, since it is unbuffered.

aron

The SOS is very good, very smooth to me.

petemoore

Where are you  guys getting the SOS schematic?
 I definitly like the Stompbox Alexa, But I use the 386 'trick' for 1/2v...works great !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dave Z

petemoore

'Super EZ'...works great !!! [an alternative to 'regular' votage dividers]
 Take yer LM386 socket, and hookup V+ pin to V+ [9V+/battery] andyer Ground [pin 4] to ground...then you have 1/2v at the output...replaces the voltage divider [two equal resistors usually with a bypass electrocap] and provides a nice 1/2 V tap.
 Usually I build this at the right top of the board, first thing, but leave three  'loops' or wires atop the board for ground, V+, and 1/2V connections to be made where I can see them.
 Connect the 1/2v wherever you see Vb [Vbias], 1/2v etc. ...Ground and V+ >connect where needed. Simple neat EZ, works like a charm.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

stm

The SOS schematic can be found here:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/TStech/tsxtech.htm

Just go to the bottom of the article and save the SOS image.

Then, you can go to the beginning and read the whole thing if you haven't.  Nice compendium of information on the TS and its derivatives!

Regards,

STM

Dave Z

thanks Pete, I'll have to get some of those LM386s, they're used for a lot of different things...