Previous topic - Next topic

mat

and there are lots more in the drawers.. :roll:

:oops:  :oops:  :oops: mat :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

btw those faces reminds me of the easyvibe project  :lol:

MartyB

I can show my wife..."See honey,  my desk just looks like other people's."

Ge_Whiz

Looks amateurishingly neat and tidy to me.

markr04

Heh, you've got a ways to go before you can take pride in your workspace there.

1) You have no snipped resistor pins. I'll expect 50-100 or more in the next pic.
2) Tools, son. You need more needle-nose pliers and nippers than you can use. Spread them out haphazardly. It's okay if some are bent or otherwise useless.
3) One working soldering iron, and one that doesn't work - in pieces.
4) We'll assume that extra battery is good. Four discharged batteries is the minimum.
5) You use your drawers??! Stop this immediately!

Of course I'm teasing. I'm going to bet that 99.999% of our desks look as bad or worse than yours. RDV posted a pic a while back. It puts everyone's pile of partially-working effects to shame.
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

smoguzbenjamin

Hah! I have a PC with dual monitors on my desk, along with all the electronics stuff! I'll make a pic as soon as the messed-ness is at maximum 8)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

mat

Hi again,

Well as You can see this is only a part of my desktop. No tools (+ other) section here  :wink:  After a busy day, evening and night there is resistor/capasitor pins, solder spots, tape, parts, schematics, batteries, dmm's, wire, food, beer, vine, and yes two soldering irons only one working, and maybe me  :roll:  :oops:  :oops:

Well drawers come in handy on situations (if there will be such a horror) when you have to clean the desk by 10 seconds  :twisted:

cheers,
mat

Torchy

How the hell do you keep it that tidy ?????

:oops:

Oh, I get it now .....

The Tone God

You consider that messy  :?:  :!:  :?:  :!:  :?: Bwhahaha!!!! Take that it multiply it by atleast 20 and you got a good day at my place. I can actually see where the wires go. There are no piles of blown parts. No masses of jumper wire bits. No solder splats spraying the area. Geez.

To be honest I just spent the past 15 days cleaning up my workshop. I'm not talking a hour or two a day either. I mean solid full days. Maybe I'll take some pics later but even right now with my newly cleaned workshop my main work bench is messier then that and I have only one effect on the bench.

I would sweat that mess one bit.

Andrew

mat

ok, i got it.. i'm newbie with this desktop thingie also.. :(

mat..

.. but i will rise some day  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Quote from: The Tone GodYou consider that messy  :?:  :!:  :?:  :!:  :?: Bwhahaha!!!! Take that it multiply it by atleast 20 and you got a good day at my place. I can actually see where the wires go. There are no piles of blown parts. No masses of jumper wire bits. No solder splats spraying the area. Geez.

To be honest I just spent the past 15 days cleaning up my workshop. I'm not talking a hour or two a day either. I mean solid full days. Maybe I'll take some pics later but even right now with my newly cleaned workshop my main work bench is messier then that and I have only one effect on the bench.

I would sweat that mess one bit.

Andrew

markr04

Of course, the cleaner your workspace, the more efficiently you work. I've lost count of the number of times I've built a project, only to find it not working. I turn it over and there's a resistor pin off my desk somehow wedged and shorting the circuit.

We're all just having fun playing the devil's advocate here.
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

Paul Marossy

I agree with markr04. I get frustrated much easier and waste a lot of time looking for stuff if I don't keep things straight. Here's what my workbench typically looks like after I'm done with a project:

http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/DIYWorkbench.htm

The Tone God

There is just alittle bit of light geek ribbing going on. The frustration factor is what finally led me to clean up and reorganize my workshop. I had projects piling up on each other then when I couldn't find parts I would plunder the other projects in the works which I would have to rebuild later adding more frustration. It was just bad.

I'm much happier with my clean and organized workshop. I can focus on building and not where to find stuff.

Andrew

mat

I think we all agree that the more organized the working area, the more you get done.

If i'm honest here my tools are where they shoud be as are the components. The only thing piling here are the unfinished projects that i'm stucked in. If i cannot get it to work , it is too easy to get exited about a some new project  :roll:

I've fighted with my Tonebender-project way too long. So far one burned trimmer (havent seen that before  :oops: ) and no correct bias voltage on Q3  :evil:

Well, have to try it again and again and ...

cheers,
mat

Quote from: Paul MarossyI agree with markr04. I get frustrated much easier and waste a lot of time looking for stuff if I don't keep things straight. Here's what my workbench typically looks like after I'm done with a project:

http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/DIYWorkbench.htm

Paul Marossy

Gee, I wish I could put something down for a while if it doesn't work. It becomes a quest for me to figure out why it's not working.  :oops:

thomas2

dude.. your desk is way too tidy. even though i'm an amateur.. i still manage to keep my desk loonking very professional. i've studied what real professionals have on their desks and added something to make it feel and look more my own.. i'm really considering posting a photo of mine  :lol:
tee se itse tai kuole

Peter Snowberg

I have two very different modes.

For prototyping and designing, I couldn't care less if the little needle nose pliers are under several layers... just as long as I know where they are. The natural state of the universe is sort-by-entropy with a high preference for conservation and grouping of novel structures. I like to "arrange" my work area in this manor and by doing that I find that I have the clearest and easiest connection with whatever allows me to write down new stuff and new approaches to old problems. If I try to keep it too clean as a primary focus, wild design concepts don't happen as much. They go from the rule to the exception.

I do clean up once the resistor leads cause shorts a little too often. :D

Production is another story. In that case the thinking has been done already and attention to detail + efficiency is what's called for. When I have done production in the past I have always had a separate area for it. The production area stays neat and gets cleaned at the end of each run or even each shift.

I think some balance is necessary if you only have a small area.... then you have the additional aspect of multi-use space (as in using the room for non effects purposes).

Each mode is somewhat defeating to the other.

Luckily my work areas are not too documented in pictures. ;)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Paul Marossy

My work area is 2'x6' or so. I have to keep things neat, or it would get outta hand pretty quick...  8)

mat

Hi Thomas !

Well lets see it then  :D  :D (näytä!näytä!)

cheers,
mat

Quote from: thomasdude.. your desk is way too tidy. even though i'm an amateur.. i still manage to keep my desk loonking very professional. i've studied what real professionals have on their desks and added something to make it feel and look more my own.. i'm really considering posting a photo of mine  :lol: