Seller's Remorse. Keep the V-Twin or sell? Aaarrrrggggg!

Started by Burstbucker, October 03, 2004, 08:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burstbucker

I have a Mesa Boogie V-Twin pedal, it is a super high quality piece of gear but I think it may be a little too Hard Rock for my liking.

I love Hard Rock but the sound I'm looking for isn't quite in the Boogie camp.

The V-Twin is built like a tank that's been covered with diamond plate! But the EQ is a little weird, IMHO. It has nothing in the midrange dept. I think that's what's really lacking in this pedal. Too much of a scooped thing going on.

But I've managed to dial-in a pretty decent tone by replacing the stock AX7 for the drive channel with an AT7 and I'm also running a Treble Booster pedal before it. So I'm almost there with the tone but it's still has a little bit of that Metalica flavor in there.

So, I'm toying with the idea of selling it on ebay, they seem to be going for a pretty decent amount from what I've seen.

I've heard great things about the Radial Tone Bone Classic, that's probably more up my alley but I've never had the opportunity to try one out. Is anybody out there a fan of either of these two pedals?

But you know what's kind of funny? If I do sell the V-Twin I'll probably end-up with "seller's remorse" down the road because it is a high quality effect. Even though it might not be suited for me, I'll probably still kick myself later. 8^)

Samuel

who cares about build quality if the thing doesn't sound like you want it to? There are approximately 8,739,537 distortion pedals to buy or build. Get something that sounds to your liking and there's no way you'll regret the decision.

Burstbucker

What you're saying is totally rational but it just seems that almost everytime I sell something, I later wished I had kept it.

But, if the price is right................   8^)

Samuel

Well, think of it this way, if you keep it, you're spending ~$250 safeguarding yourself against minor potential future emotions :)

petemoore

Quote from: BurstbuckerI have a Mesa Boogie V-Twin pedal, it is a super high quality piece of gear but I think it may be a little too Hard Rock for my liking.

I love Hard Rock but the sound I'm looking for isn't quite in the Boogie camp.
>>>sounds like the results you're now getting are disappointing.
The V-Twin is built like a tank that's been covered with diamond plate! But the EQ is a little weird, IMHO. It has nothing in the midrange dept. I think that's what's really lacking in this pedal. Too much of a scooped thing going on.
 >>> the frequency response could be altered.

But I've managed to dial-in a pretty decent tone by replacing the stock AX7 for the drive channel with an AT7 and I'm also running a Treble Booster pedal before it. So I'm almost there with the tone but it's still has a little bit of that Metalica flavor in there.
 >>>I've had tones that I took getting used to, and sold pedals before I did so, sometimes you just know 'that' sound is or isn't 'it' [what you want].
So, I'm toying with the idea of selling it on ebay, they seem to be going for a pretty decent amount from what I've seen.
 >>>I never broke even much buying and selling stuff, but sometimes this is what it takes to find what you want.
I've heard great things about the Radial Tone Bone Classic, that's probably more up my alley but I've never had the opportunity to try one out. Is anybody out there a fan of either of these two pedals?
 >>>Trying the pedals with your setup at levels you use can be difficult before you buy it.
But you know what's kind of funny? If I do sell the V-Twin I'll probably end-up with "seller's remorse" down the road because it is a high quality effect. Even though it might not be suited for me, I'll probably still kick myself later. 8^)
>>>I know I always do, at least with soemthing that's tube and built like a tank.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

GreenEye

I find that a good tube-driven pedal is a good thing to have around.

Also, I bought a Univox Superfuzz in the past for about $90, and ended up selling it on Ebay for like $200, which was a great profit.  But I kind of wish I had it now and then.

Ge_Whiz

Keep it until you're desperate for the money. One day it'll be just the sound you're looking for.

clandestine

I think Voodoo Amps can modify the V-twin to your liking, they appear to be a stand up outfit from all accounts I've seen;

www.voodooamps.com