TL081 substitute?

Started by tungngruv, October 04, 2004, 01:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tungngruv

Does anyone know if I can substitute an LM741 in place of a TL081? I'm thinking of making the Gus Smalley "Simple Octave Up" to compare with my Bobtavia. Would that work in it's place with no problems? I looked at the spec sheets and on other threads and from what I can gather, people said they were compatible. Please let me know and thanks for any help.

petemoore

Quote from: tungngruvDoes anyone know if I can substitute an LM741 in place of a TL081? I'm thinking of making the Gus Smalley "Simple Octave Up" to compare with my Bobtavia. Would that work in it's place with no problems? I looked at the spec sheets and on other threads and from what I can gather, people said they were compatible. Please let me know and thanks for any help.
TL081 is a single OA, and should work fine in with a single OA wire up...which is the same for any single OA like an LM741.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

niftydog

the only problem is that the 741 is quite literally the worst op amp money can buy... (ok, so maybe not the worst, but it's pretty ordinary)

the TL081 on the other hand is a reasonably decent op amp.

Mainly in terms of noise specs - but also, they are completely different technologys. The 741 is BJT based, the 081 is JFET based. This may have an affect on the input impedence, the slew rate etc etc...

Aside from that, it should work ok.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)