News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

smokey amp!

Started by nero1985, October 04, 2004, 09:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nero1985

does anybody have schematics (or knows where i can find) for a SMOKEY AMP????

RDV

It's here about 7/8 way down: http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html

I think the circuits(Ruby, Little Gem) at //www.runoffgroove.com are much improved over the Smokey.

RDV

nero1985

Marcos - Munky

Just a suggestion, ROG amps sounds greater. Try the Ruby or the Little Gem.

remmelt

i own a smokey and it was hella expensive. the sound is nice though! i love that little amp. i must say that a large part of the charm is the fact that it's in a cigarette box. that's a large part of the sound as well.... which can be a good thing and a bad thing.

i built a ruby, it was easy and cheap (WAY cheaper than the smokey) and it sounds better. more versatile, with the volume and the gain. i put it in a regular small amp box with an 8" and it sounds bigger than the smokey. it's also much cleaner! i run the ruby at 12v.

but in the end, i'm glad i have both, because there is no way of comparing them, even if the circuits are so alike.

nero1985

ive hears all this good things about RUBY and LITTLE GEM but what kind of speakers do they drive?...........  4, 8, 1 6 ohms?

B Tremblay

The Little Gem and Ruby work well with 4, 8, or 16 ohm loads.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Paul Marossy

My Lil' Gem is driving a pair of 4 ohm speakers wired in series for an 8 ohm load. Sounds great with a Strat! Humbuckers overdrive the LM386 quite easily, though.