SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

9v to 6v????

Started by nero1985, October 04, 2004, 10:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nero1985

can i use a 100k trim to turn 9v to 6v?

Marcos - Munky

I believe yes, but I'm not sure about the value that you will need to do this. Also, you can get 4.5V using a V1/2 network (that one with two resistors and a eletrolytic cap) if 4.5V is enought to drive your circuit.

Arn C.

I may be too quick on jumping on this, because someone else may have a better suggestion.

Are you using an adapter or battery?

Also, I am not sure how much current trimmers can handle.   I would assume not too much.
First measure the voltage from your power supply to see what voltage it is actually outputting.(write this down for later)

At any rate, you can take one of your leads whether pos or neg, depending on what you will be using in your circuit for power.

Hook your trimmer inline with that lead and connect both the lead outputs to your meter to check your voltage.

If you are using a wall wort power supply, and you know it is  a 9 volt one, your measurement before using the trimmer may give you a reading of (say for example 12 volts dc).

Using proportions  9/12 = 6/x ,  x=8volts(this is what you would set your trimmer to:remember this is just an example voltage)

Once you have the correct voltage, measure the trimmer to find out what the resistance is and use that value of resistor inline with your power source.  I would use a higher watt rated resistor.  Not sure what value, maybe 1/2 watt or even 1watt to be safe. (Maybe even a 2 watt resistor?)

Peace!
Arn C.

Thomas P.

sure you can. Imagine having 9V over pin 1 and 3. If you adjust the wiper to 50k, what do you think it will be? Right, 4.5V.
You must see the pot as two resistors in series. All other things can be done by Ohms Law, which is R = U/I.
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

Ge_Whiz

Yes, but if you use a 100k trimmer the available current will be less than 0.1mA. Will that be enough for your purpose?

smoguzbenjamin

You can use fixed resistors in a 1:2 ratio. Anyway doesn't a non-equal resistor splitter fluctuate with current-draw changes? Why not use a regulator to regulate 9v down to 6?
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

petemoore

Have to brush up on the specs but doens' t a LM317 Voltage Regular take 9 down to 6v without getting hot or needing a heat sink? Then you can adjust it...
 What about using two seriesed R's to divide, and rate the current to their values...higher R value means less current [right?].
 So you could use two small ones, like 12k, and some bigger ones like 120k, or [      ]  then adjust one side of the seriesed pair [or the other] value to get the voltage your looking for?
 Isn't a 100k pot how that one mod for New Clipper sets bias...adjustable with the pot?...IIRC there were also 22k's or something on both outside potlugs.
 I know the LM317 works, whether it gets hot for your application I don't know.
 I'm pretty sure you could devise a voltage divider using fixed R's, if it's running an audio amp I'd use a bypass cap or two. I've never done it so this is a question...can't you measure current by splicing the DMM in there to read how much current is flowing?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

stm

Depending on power consumption, you can use a 3.3V zener in series to drop the 9V to 5.7V, or a 6.2V shunt zener.

Nasse

:) 78L06 works ok too

Trimmers and pots smell funny when you put some current trough them
  • SUPPORTER

Hal

Quote from: petemooreHave to brush up on the specs but doens' t a LM317 Voltage Regular take 9 down to 6v without getting hot or needing a heat sink? Then you can adjust it...
 What about using two seriesed R's to divide, and rate the current to their values...higher R value means less current [right?].
 So you could use two small ones, like 12k, and some bigger ones like 120k, or [      ]  then adjust one side of the seriesed pair [or the other] value to get the voltage your looking for?
 Isn't a 100k pot how that one mod for New Clipper sets bias...adjustable with the pot?...IIRC there were also 22k's or something on both outside potlugs.
 I know the LM317 works, whether it gets hot for your application I don't know.
 I'm pretty sure you could devise a voltage divider using fixed R's, if it's running an audio amp I'd use a bypass cap or two. I've never done it so this is a question...can't you measure current by splicing the DMM in there to read how much current is flowing?

I just made a variable power supply with one of these.  The heat dissipated depends on the current...I'm pretty sure the LM317 simply "drops" the excess voltage, so power dissipated = VI.  I agree, this is probably the best/simplest way to achieve a variable voltage - better than a trimpot as a voltage divider.  I was kinda scared about it overheating, so i clipped a 3w heat sink on, but i dont even think that was nessecary with the low currents i'm going to use.  

Radio Shack has the Lm317's for $2.30, with design help on the back of the package....they also have heatsinks, although i didn't get one from them - i ripped it off something.

niftydog

QuoteYes, but if you use a 100k trimmer the available current will be less than 0.1mA

Not quite. The available current will depend on the resistance from the input terminal to the wiper terminal. The voltage will ALSO depend on the current being drawn. They work best when there's a fixed, known current draw.

0.1mA will be constantly flowing regardless of the wiper position. So even if you have nothing connected to the wiper pin, there is still current flowing (read; energy being wasted)

By far the best solution is to use an LM317.

QuoteI know the LM317 works, whether it gets hot for your application I don't know.

If an LM317 gets hot doing the job, then a trimmer pot is simply going to melt!!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Steben

Quote from: stmDepending on power consumption, you can use a 3.3V zener in series to drop the 9V to 5.7V, or a 6.2V shunt zener.

Yes a zener will be better and will not let the voltage fluctuate with current draw in the circuit.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Is your 9v a 'real' 9v from a wart or similar, or is it a battery?
Because if it is a 9v battery, as it gets flat (say to 7.5 v) then there won't be enough 'headtroom' to operate the regulator properly.
If anyone knows a low-dropout adjustable reg, let me know! (rather than try to kludge with a fixed reg).

niftydog

Paul, seen the Maxim MAX603 and similar?
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: niftydogPaul, seen the Maxim MAX603 and similar?
..much appreciated! I can't keep up with Maxim any more!