Old Colorsound Wah - why does it work backwards?

Started by Ballz, October 04, 2004, 02:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballz

Hi guys -

a friend brought a Colorsound Wah pedal to me - made by SOLA SOUND in London England....blue paint chassis.....

The thing works, but the effect goes backwards - all the unfiltered trebly sound is with the pedal back, and the quack/filtered sound with the pedal forward....

Now - the pot looks original, not much to  indicate that there has been any tampering going on.
Has the pot been switched?

Shud stuff like this use some funny reverse log 1M pots that can be found in other gear from this era? My friend says it´s been like this always= since 1980:s when he got it.....

Ideas?

Cheers /Rick

cd

Does it have an inductor?  Anyway, just switch the pot leads around (outer two lugs) that will put it back to "proper" range.

petemoore

Actually having it 'backwards' makes it less abrupt  when you kick it on. Having the treble side down could cause a setup to 'freak' out, maybe it came that way or was modded.
at any rate, reversing the outside lugs will reverse the 'backwardsness', but if the pot has a special taper the action of the pedal might sweep 'funny'...
 Not sure how they're tapered, but if the pot, with shaft right in the middle of it's range, measures 1/2 the value of the potlugs [1 and 3] I think reversing it will work 'right', you may want to re-adjust the sweep range...[Vox's and Cbaby's use rack and pinion...you can move the gear up a cog or two etc to adjust it 'treblier or bassier], I'm not familiar with Colorsound construction, pot taper, mechanical linkage, or if the bypass switch is activated by pushing the pedal toe down.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Stuart

The early Colorsound wah-swell pedals were wired like that, so the swell effect would be at max volume with the pedal down.  Later, they used a dual gang pot so the wah would work as normal.

All you have to do is reverse the outer connections on the pot and re-index the crank on the shaft to get the same sweep.

Ballz

Darned fast replies - TNX bigtime.....
yes, I tried briefly to switch the lugs...but it gave a funny, bassy sweep...need to check the pot and change where it starts sweeping....

Cool.......I´ll be back........Tnx again!

Cheers /Rick

Ballz

First I took the time to read the WAH article on geofex - nice one - then switched the lugs, adjusted the travel of the slider across the pot.....and ended up with a vintage Colorsound inductor Wah that has a reversible mod :-) and an AWESOME sweep range! It goes from underwater sound to a slightly brighter original tone with less bass content.....nice for leads when you´re in Hendrix wannabe mode :-)

Again - THanks!
Cheers /Rick

Fret Wire

http://www.tonefrenzy.com/2/color_sound_wahwah.htm

I wonder if this clip is the inductor, or the twin-t model? I've never tried the inductorless model.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)