Hammond Boxes?

Started by Arn C., October 05, 2004, 02:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn C.

What size hammond boxes do you guys use for usual or average builds, not the larger projects?

1590BB?

Thanks!
Arn C.

Thomas P.

Always (if I use Hammonds, I use them) - I don't like to squeeze things inside a 1590B.
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

BDuguay

1590B, because that's my first initial.
I's also why I take my coffee black, so they'll mark a "B" on the lid with a white grease pencil.
B.

Arn C.

Thank you, just couldn't remember.  I haven't used them in a while, been experimenting with boxes I find, rip out the guts and build  :lol:

Peace!
Arn C.

Mark Hammer

Depends how many knobs and how many parts.  The majority of fuzzes will have two, maybe 3, knobs and fit comfortably in a 1590B.  Tremolos can fit in one but phasers, choruses, flangers, or anything where you want more than 3 knobs, should probably go it a larger box if only for the space to work the controls, even if the circuit board itself doesn't require it.  I'd say about half of what I make fits in a B and the other half fits in a BB and larger.

Chassis-mounted components layout and especially choices in chassis-mount components can make a huge difference in whether something fits in a 1590B or not.  You would not believe the difference that a blue 3PDT stompswitch with the solder lugs pointing down makes, compared to the Taiwanese X-wing DPDTs, in terms of providing usable internal space.  I've also had pedals where everything worked out fine if I used a slender red Eveready "Classic" 9v battery but not if I used the blockier Duracell industrial alkalines.

Paul Marossy

Anything beyond 3 knobs is hard to fit inside a 1590B, even if they are the small size ones. (I forget how many mm they are...)

Mark Hammer

Actually, I've got a 4-knob TS-808 clone in one, using the Tonepad layout and careful planning.  Small radius knobs and 25mm pots helps a LOT.  So does using a mini phone jack for the external adaptor, rather than a barrel jack.  The chassis-mount ones are prohibitively large for a 1590B unless you put in a tiny circuit like a simple preamp with one knob.

Samuel

I'll have to post pictures of my 5 knob tremulus lune i got into a 1590B. No battery though, so I guess that's kinda cheating...

marrstians

i've got a fullclone/ tubscreamer in a b box... four knobs, two footswitches, two leds, and two toggle switches... on perf and i still fit the battery inside... pain in the a$$... could be cleaner but compact for sure...

Dirk_Hendrik

Quote from: Paul MarossyAnything beyond 3 knobs is hard to fit inside a 1590B, even if they are the small size ones. (I forget how many mm they are...)

sorry Paul but I can't resist.... :wink:

More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Mark Hammer

Oh, you're a sick, sick man. Buit I'll bet you could go on a trip around the world and have everything you need in your carry-on bag!! :lol:

Have you considered drilling some holes for air and maybe epoxying some wire mesh on the inside?  There's not a lot of air circulation in there.

BTW, those are the knobs that make 4-knob 1590B builds possible.  The larger MXR-style fluted ones are, admittedly, much sexier, and certainly easier to work with your foot, but the smaller diameter of these still leaves room for both fingers and legending.

Hal

dirk - are you using flip-flop switching on that?

pborkstrom

that tube pedal looks pretty sweet, but the case doesn't look small enough to be a 1509B.  Is it?

RDV

That is a 1590BB w/out a doubt.

I'm using the taiwanese 1590BB look-a-likes right now cause they were inexpensive, but the ones I really like are the Hammond 1590S but they are expensive.

RDV

Torchy

Im using Hammolicious Tardis enclosures (the relative dimension model) - outside its just 120mm x 60mm x 34mm. Once I open the lid, because of the relative dimension vortex technology, it takes me 3 days to abseil to the bottom, and I cant even see the other side wall. I use it as a practice room.

Dammit I gotta stop actually reading those ads for booteek pedals.