Small Bear 3mm bezel problem?

Started by GreenEye, October 06, 2004, 12:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenEye

I tried several times last night to connect my 3mm LED in my Tube Reamer using a 3mm Small Bear plastic bezel.  The thing kept shorting out.  It didn't seem like the wires were touching, but maybe they were just close enough.  I can't even use it, and am searching for a homemade version.  

Anyone else had this problem?
Maybe more people prefer 5 mm LEDs for more space b/w the wires?

One of the homemade ideas I had was to superglue or screw a heavy-gage guitar pick over (or under) the hole I drilled, and drill a small hole on which the plastic portion of the LED would rest.  The bending of the leads underneath would hold it in place.

Skreddy

I'm not sure what is shorting out against what, but I use coffee stirrers (you know; the kind with two tiny parallel straws) to insulate my LEDs.

Funny story: A couple of pedals I was building had the LEDs light dimly when the unit was turned off.  After freaking out and not finding the culprit, since this behavior seemed impossible, I concluded the the rubber stopper that goes behind the LED was conducting current from the negative lead through to the metal wall of the chrome bezel I was using.  No more rubber stoppers for me--just coffee stirrers.