controfuzz build report.. needs mods!

Started by nightingale, October 07, 2004, 01:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightingale

i finished the getsch controfuzz project form GGG tonight~
i thought it was an interesting looking schemo.. so i gave it a shot..
the circuit seems to blend a clean, and a fuzz signal together. as the clean signal decays.. a real nice fuzz seems to become more present..

i dig the fuzz.. but i don't really care for the clean mixed in with it.. i guess i am asking if there is a way to get rid of the clean signal.. and boost the output of the fuzz.. here is the schemo: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=185

thanks in advance..
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Mark Hammer

There is, but it wouldn't be any different than a Distortion+ or Blue Clipper.  Build one of them and cherish the Controfuzz for its own special  quirk.

nightingale

thanks mark~
what i had in mind was a spst to switch the clean signal on or off.. it would be a really unique pedal if i could go between both types of fuzz.. i will look over a dist + schematic,  it's been a while..

i feel this would be a more useable circuit, if the fuzz louder.. the fuzz is pretty subtle on my build.. it would be really hard to notice the fuzz in rehersal, or show type situation.. just reviewing the schematic from GGG. is R8 [330k] the resistor i should tamper with to make the fuzz more prominent? i would really like to turn this thing into a secret weapon.. i have it boxed up in a killer thrift store enclosure at this time..
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Mark Hammer

Keep in mind that the circuit is intended to allow the clean signal to be heard such that that the distorted signal can *appear* to fade in over time.  The gain of the distortion stage is pretty ridiculously high, about 2200.  By making sure that even the barest hint of string vibration translates into clipped signal (and with 1N4001's remember, which have a reasonably high threshold), that permits the distortion to take a long time to decay so that it is still around after the clean signal appears to have died down.

Naturally, with that sort of gain and clipping threshold applied, there is no way you could begin to hear the transition from clean to clipped UNLESS there were serious attenuation of the clipped signal.  This is accomplished by R6 (220k).  In tandem with PT1 (10k), it makes the blend control act like a 230k pot that can't be turned up more than just a tiny bit from fully off.  If you reduce or shunt R6, you will get a huge volume boost in the fuzz channel,

To make it behave like a more standard fuzz with a simple post-clip gain recovery stage, do the following:

1) Lift the connection between the '+' inputs of the two op-amps to cancel the clean signal.

2) Stick a 10k pot, wired as variable resistor, in series with R3, to adjust the gain.  This will let you go from a gain of 22 to a gain of 2200 (hoo-hah, that's twitchy!).

3) Shunt R6.

This will give you something approximating a Distortion+, minus the rolloff cap in parallel with the diodes, using different diodes, and with a gain recovery stage to compensate for light pre-diode drive for softer distortion.

In principal, you *could* do the complete switchover with a 3PDT, provided you don't want/need status indication.  One set of contacts lifts/closes the clean connection.  One set of contacts shunts/enables the 10k drive pot.  One set of contacts shunts/enables R6.

Okay, now, let's hold up the mirror so you can see how the back looks, brush the hair off your collar and shirt, shake the hair off the cloth onto the floor.  Next!!

nightingale

QuoteOkay, now, let's hold up the mirror so you can see how the back looks, brush the hair off your collar and shirt, shake the hair off the cloth onto the floor. Next!!

thats too funny~
i have been answering the phones at an old girlfriends salon lately.. to make a buck while the band records.. i'm at the salon right now..

after a little tinkering i just completely jumpered R6.. now the fuzz signal is way more prominant.. i can only hear a little of the clean if i adjust the pots to do so..

i actually really  like this thing.. i would have never thought that a dist + type circuit would sound good with 1n4001's clipping.. i think the magic is in the gain recovery stage, it seems to give it loads of fuzz sustain.. but with a good 60's sounding edge.. actually a little bigmuffish at times.. with a little clean up at the guitar volume.

i used it at practice last night as my main fuzz.. which is pretty much fulltime.. it did a real nice overloading thing with my little 18watter..
i might put a small resistor back in the C6 position.. right now the gain is ruthless.. this thing sounds killer with my wah.. much better than the FF's, MKII's, and Axis that i usually play..

i have it ina killer enclosure.. i'll post some pics when i get home later..
thanks again mark..
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com