Neovibe - can I get more depth at slower setting by tweaking

Started by pedro, October 07, 2004, 02:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedro

I really like the slower speeds but lose the depth of the effect in my neovibe.

I read in RGs article that the diodes are in the LFO circuit to keep the LFO amplitude down ...

can I tweak somehow so that I get stronger LFO effect on the audio path at slower speeds -

Has anyone experience of this or any ideas. ?

Ive built about 10 pedals now with help from this and other sites and I'd like to get the vibe working "harder"- you guys are my best bet !!
Maybe my component choices ( LDRs / bulb etc have led to a less pronounced effect but Ice sealed everything up in the light cavity so I wondered if a mod on the circuit board somewhere might get me what I'm looking for ?

I still have the LFO buzz when the depth p[ot isnt at full but didnt get any replies to my earlier post  :cry:

TIA

Pete C

Mark Hammer

How slow is slow?  Keep in mind that Univibes sound the way they do because they produce very shallow broad notches.  Slowing them down to the speeds that phasers do will not likely produce an effect you can actually hear, or if you could hear it, nothing that would be memorable.  You could crank up the depth quite a bit without really having much payoff.  No, Univibes are one of those effects where the slowest usable speed is actually relatively fast, compared to phasers, flangers, tremoloes.  I guess the nearest comparson would be what you might expect out of a chorus if you r-e-a-l-l-y slowed it down.  You would certainly hear something, but it would not sound like chorus to you at all.  Same with Univibe.

Your reference to the LDR and light source ARE worth exploring though.  If it was the case that the slowest end of the present LFO range (i.e., a "valid" Univibe speed) was not delivering much depth, then there is a possibility that either the light source is not bright enough or the LDRs need to be angledbetter or something.  On the other hand, the general tendency of LDRs is that they lose sweep width the faster you sweep them, because they don't have enough time to "settle" or fall back to full dark resistance.  If you have no problems with sweep width at the highest speeds, but do have a difficulty with sweep width at the lowest speed you are aiming for, then light-source intensity porobably isn't your problem.

pedro

Mark,

many thanks for your thoughts - I'll try tweaking the light source and LDRs to see if that helps.
I see what you mean about the limit of sweep speed - so I'll bear that in mind.

Thanks for the input - should keep me busy for a while - Ive got several builds on the go at mo, so this will help me get the Neo completed to satisfaction I'm sure.

Rgds
Pete