News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Klon op amp?

Started by arfy, October 08, 2004, 11:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arfy

Anyone have an educated guess about which opamp is in those things?
I'm building a General Guitar Gadgets tube screamer with charge pump board as well to bring it up to 17 volts or so and want to try some other opamps besides the usual 4558.  I peaked inside my 'Tim' pedal I think he has a 4559 in there, so that's one.  Subs I've heard of are the Tl072, TL082, I can't remember the name of the expensive Burr Brown ones but I have a couple of those to try.
I like the Tim so much I don't know why I'm bothering with this but the urge to tweak stuff is strong, and I remember trying a Maxon OD9 that sounded way better than a real TS and I'm kind of extrapolating that the reason is it has a lot less circuitry than a TS because it doesn't have all the switching crap.
Any suggestions are welcome.

cd

The Klon uses two TL072s.  Or just buy a Banzai Cold Fusion, same thing :)

BDuguay

Are you saying the Maxon OD9 has mechanical switching? I'm not completely familiar with that brand. I'm very interested to know if the switching circuitry makes the difference.
I have a Klon but, as I'm sure you're aware, the board is covered in God knows what, otherwise I'd help you out.
What can you tell me about the 'Tim' pedal? I've seen the name pop up a few times here on the interweb but not much detail beyond the name.
Brian the thread hijacker.

swt

Hey Brian!! HOw does the klon compare to a ts??. Is it worth buying??. I've never heard one, but people told me that the best one of these types (ts 9, ts808, sd1, klon,etc), is the nobels od1r. Any opinions?. Thanks a lot!!

BDuguay

The Klon is completely transparent, where as the ts series are not. For me, that's very important. I like to use pedals for the effect that they GIVE to my guitar sound, not for the effect that they HAVE on my guitar sound. Personally, I think the Klon is worth buying, even thought they are quite exspensive. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the od1 from Nobels but if it's similar to a ts, and that's the type of distortion your looking for, I'm sure it's a good pedal.
B.