Vox Valvetone V810 and Ebay Insanity

Started by amonte, October 08, 2004, 02:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amonte

I'm in need of a decent overdrive pedal these days and was considering getting a Vox Valvetone V810.  Saw one on Ebay that was only $66 with only a few hours left on it, so I thought that was a decent price.  Well, in the last five minutes, it jumped over $100, which is just insane.  

So...I'd like to build something in the vein of a Tubescreamer, but without the mid-hump if that's possible.  Supposedly, the V810 accomplishes this, but I don't know if it's true or hype.  

I was looking at the TubeReamer - that looks very interesting, and a quick build.  Anyone give it a shot?  How does it compare with a TS in tone?  Also, what's a good opamp for it?

Phorhas

Let's start off with the tube reamer. I haven't built this exact design, but I did build a few similar design of my own. it sound more open, with abig punch - more raw.

about the mods to lower the mid hump syndrom the the TS - check out the articles by Jack Orman, and be sure to check the "defeting intermodulation" thread, about what happens if too much bass or treble get in the bosst/clip stage.

well, Hope I helprd a bit.

http://www.muzique.com/lab/fatt.htm
Electron Pusher

Phorhas

almost forgot, there's this company named: Rocktec. thay make a real cheap pedal that features basically the TS crkt. it uses good part and is dirt cheap (about $15) - worth checking out...good for modding and learning
Electron Pusher

Fret Wire

I like the tube reamer. I think it's more clear, open, transparent...however you put it, than a real TS. The lack of buffers must help. Better dynamics, too. Even though it has a gain pot, the gain is always max. Turning the gain pot up just rolls off the bass reponse. That's how ROG set it up. So think of it this way: A better, nastier sounding Tubescreamer with the gain stuck on full, and better tone control.

For Op Amps, use a 741 or the TLO71, which is quieter, hiss wise.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

tazwolf

I have a valvetone V810. They are good but the ridiculous prices people are asking for them is all a bit silly. I suppose it's because they stopped making them. Personally I prefer the Supreaux for my overdrive sounds even though my V810 has been modded by toneman in the USA. I agree with the previous posts that the reamer is probably just as good if not better - although you don't get the very pretty chromed enclosure of the V810.

/Taz

Burstbucker

Just a side note here.......

I remember buying its littermate, the Vox V830 Distortion Booster.  That was without a doubt "The worst pedal ever", IMHO.

Wow, that was a horrible pedal.  I think that's the only stompbox I've never regretted selling and I've gotten rid of a pile of them over the years!

I remember the Valve-Tone being a decent enough, general purpose overdrive but I'm sure it's like the other guy noted that it's mostly hype driven by the fact that they've discontinued those pedals.

jimbob

QuoteI remember buying its littermate, the Vox V830 Distortion Booster. That was without a doubt "The worst pedal ever", IMHO.

I guess you have never tried the Pro Co Brat. Just give that a try...just horrible...
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

amonte

I'm trying to get the parts together at Mouser.com, and I'm having a hard time picking out the opamps.

I did a serach for "TL071 Operational Amplifier" and "741 Operational Amplifier" and got a bunch of results.  How do I select one?  Or will any of these work?  I did notice that some of the TL071's are listed as DIP-8 while others say SO-8.

I'd like to get three different opamps to try in this circuit.  Can anyone help me pick the right ones at mouser?  Also, can I use a TL072?

petemoore

Quote from: amonteI'm trying to get the parts together at Mouser.com, and I'm having a hard time picking out the opamps.

I did a serach for "TL071 Operational Amplifier" and "741 Operational Amplifier" and got a bunch of results.  How do I select one?  Or will any of these work?  I did notice that some of the TL071's are listed as DIP-8 while others say SO-8.

I'd like to get three different opamps to try in this circuit.  Can anyone help me pick the right ones at mouser?  Also, can I use a TL072?
TL071
 LM741 you can get this at Radio Shack
 NE5534 + Single, NE5532 = Dual, Clean low noise, I like them, great for Micro amp and OS comp too.
 You can use half a standard dual OA
 JRC4558-4558D
 TL072 ['dual version of TL071]
  [single] very low noise/clean OA...I like in OS Comp and Micro Amp, 5532 is the dual version...
 Be sure to specify package type, I can't recall withought looking what what you want is called...I just found a TL072 here, about 1/8 the size of a hearing aid battery, also have 43 ct. of J201 transistore, they're even smaller...the lead length on these is LONG as paper is THICK, just about need a magnifyer to see the leads on 'em...they sent me more for free, but with no way to use these, I'd rather have gotten the right ones only.
 You can use half of a dual OA, just ground the - and + input on the side you don't use, or use that side as booster...buffer...or...[  ]
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

toneman

"DIP"  is "Dual Inline Package"
your "garden variety" *thru hole* 8pin or 14 or 16pin IC.

"SOT"  is "Small Outline Transistor".
this is a surfacemount package.
Much smaller, and more difficult 2 solder if
U don't have the right equipment.

staytuned
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

washtathumper

Quote from: tazwolf on October 09, 2004, 07:29:52 AM
I have a valvetone V810. They are good but the ridiculous prices people are asking for them is all a bit silly. I suppose it's because they stopped making them. Personally I prefer the Supreaux for my overdrive sounds even though my V810 has been modded by toneman in the USA. I agree with the previous posts that the reamer is probably just as good if not better - although you don't get the very pretty chromed enclosure of the V810.

/Taz
Hey i have a v810 and i have been considering sending it to toneman.  Was the mod by toneman worth it or do you think a newbie to mods could make the changes?  By the way doesAnybody know what toneman changes on a vox v810?  Thanks -Washt thumper

petemoore

Like setting up a car.
  I know my car.
  I think I know if I want it to turn faster into, or accellerate out of the turns faster out of corners, depending on the track.
  If I could *buy a stock or mod car that I know would be the fastest, most easy to handle setup for the track I intended it for running on, that's what I'd do.
  Otherwise I'd get used to changing my own tires, shocks, gears, changing center of gravity/weighting and doing A/B tests with slight single, to radical multiple changes to the car.
  Substitute "Stompbox" for "Car", and 'Track' for "Amp and Guitar [etc.]".
  I've gone as far as to build two or more similar 'Cars' and have them compete on my 'Track'.
  *The TS lends itself to being a likely candidate for this, especially if you know what you want the pedal to 'not do' and 'do'.
  It is a well documented, reliable medium to mod from, with a mod tweex [maybe two?], some good mental note taking, and the ability to fine tune the 'tone targeting' with three knobs, a popular "TS Tweek" circuit, done by an experienced TS tweeker would be a good choice.
  Of course there is always that other cool DIY mod you can easily make room for to house the switch and knob it requires.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

AL

QuoteI remember buying its littermate, the Vox V830 Distortion Booster.  That was without a doubt "The worst pedal ever", IMHO.

I hear ya' brother. I still have mine and everyone that has played it agrees - HORRBILE sound in a really cool box.

I'll have to try a Tube Reamer - sounds like a good one. Have you thought about a Blue Magic? Very nice overdrive too.

AL

aron

I guess I have to come down on the other side. I think the VOX valvetone sounded great (at least the one I tried). I don't think $100 is too much to spend on a pedal that sounds good. I was amazed that it was a tube screamer clone because it sounded a lot better to me.

tazwolf

It's hard to say exactly in what way the Valvetone sounded different after the Tone man mods as it was away for quite a while (Sweden to USA) and I
was not that familiar with the pedal before, I knew I would be keeping the pedal and thought it would be interesting to get it modded. I suppose I would
say it sounded less boxy and more open after the mods. I'd do it again. I received the bits that were removed in a plastic bag but I seem to have mislaid it.

In my previous mail I wrote that I preferred the Supreaux but since then I have bought a valvetronic Ad30vt amplifier (which sits in a cupboard miked up)
and I've started using the valvetone with it and it sounds just great. I have a marshall and a vox sound set up on the point of breakup and use the valvetone
for overdrive and it's great if you like searing, sticky OD (which I do) - so now I think it's fantastic. Before I using amp sims and going direct.

/Taz

fjdenigris

Hey i have a v810 and i have been considering sending it to toneman.  Was the mod by toneman worth it or do you think a newbie to mods could make the changes?  By the way doesAnybody know what toneman changes on a vox v810?  Thanks -Washt thumper
[/quote]

I'm not familliar with the toneman mods, but I can tell you that the Analog Man mod is great!!

fjdenigris

The last one I bid on just ended at $177.55. I'll never get one because I won't pay over $65 I guess...  :P