Questions on Joe's Obsidian

Started by clandestine2, October 09, 2004, 05:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clandestine2

From the posts I've read it sounds like the Obsidian is the way to go for a high-quality DIY high gain pedal for heavy metal tone. Especially the new transitor version.

Does anyone have any detailed instructions on assembly or how to add a 9v jack like you'd find on a BOSS pedal?

I've seen Gringo's layouts and they look really good but i'm not sure how to orientate the pots and other components just by looking at the schematics.

This newbie would greatly appreciate any help :)

clandestine2

1. How are the pots orientated?
2. Where does the negative lead of the 9v battery go to?
3. How is the ground wired?
4. How can a 9volt jack be added?
5. Do the transistors needs to be biased or "teched" with in any way? If so, how?

This is in regards to the "obsidian T" PCB layout version 1.1 by Gringo - which is a very clean layout by the way :)

GreenEye

You should glance at GGG's tech pages, Aron's beginner project page, and Small Bear's Tweak-O layout page.  I think they cover all of your questions.

clandestine2

jimbob

I have made sooooo many distortion effects here. I have been lately most impressed w Mr. Mark hammers CHAOS. MOre Metal sounding than anything ive hear/made.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

petemoore

Is the Obsidian schematic available? I see an obsidian PCB layout...I'd prefer perfing from a schematic...?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Gringo

Pete:

I'll post a pack with the schems (my redrawn version) i used to draw the layouts as a reference.

Clandestine, glad you liked the layout :)
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

petemoore

I had one long ago, on a piece of hardback cover, It was Great, but not road worthy...I want to perf another... 8)
Convention creates following, following creates convention.