Octave up: diodes, matched transistors need not apply...

Started by Tim Escobedo, October 09, 2004, 05:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Escobedo

The Pushme Pullyou is a simple, fairly clean octave up circuit using Two NPN and one PNP transistors. No diode rectifiers or matching transistors are needed. The input transistor is simply a gain stage and could probably be replaced with any other.

http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html

Elektrojänis

Looks pretty. Got to slap that on a breadboard some day. Might be a good candidate for next effect in my series of small "plug in to guitars output jack" -style effects. I'm not sure if I'm abel to squeeze it in this kind of enclosure: http://www.hut.fi/~pjunno/temp/aggressor/aggressor.jpg

Phorhas

Cool design!

BTW Tim, A friend of ine heard all of you more twisted sounding and he wants'em all (!) in one box (!) tweakable by hand in live situtations(!)...

just wanted to give a little positive FB :)
Electron Pusher

Marcos - Munky

Cool!!! I will draw a layout for it, and I'm almost sure that I will try it. I was in the shower some minutes ago, and I was thinking that I was needing a good octave up to play some songs :P. This came in the right moment. There's your CMOS octave up, that I tried once, and sounds cool, but I gave it to a friend.

petemoore

KOOLOE...Looks like as simple an Octave circuit as Any I've seen !!!
Even Simpler considering I already Have Gain Stages here...
 Ok...I'll ask the question...is there a sound Clip?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jrc4558

Thank you, Tim!
Your's is the only site from which I have built virtually every design. And I get the greatest excitement when I see something new there.
I wish I could do such nice designes and share as much.
Good luck to you and thanx again. :)

Tim Escobedo

No sound clip yet. I'll try to get one up in a few days.

bobbletrox

Cool!  I dig your circuits Tim  :o

You've sooo gotta post a schem for the Ghost Dance proximity control  8)

R.G.

Clever insight, Tim. It does a good octave and is indeed tolerant of devices. The octave is a full wave rectified type and works over quite a range of signal levels. The "conversion gain" is about 1/5 so a gain stage is indeed needed, either in front of or behind it. In front gives easier overdrive to flat-topping alternate peaks, behind just gives more signal level.

Cool!
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.