PROBLEM WITH AMZ MOSFET BOOSTER

Started by grani79, October 09, 2004, 07:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grani79

HI!

I built an AMZ MOSFET BOOSTER from:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=118&Itemid=162

I used the right component. The effect seems to work, but after some seconds it start to do a lot of "scratches", "pop" and "noise" when I play the guitar. I tried different transistor (all BS170), I tried to replace the two elec. caps .... but the problem remains... some helps????

Thanks

Grani79

Michael Allen

Check all your connections. Try redoing the battery connection.

Darren N

It seems this circuit is susceptible to "battery microphonics". Tap the battery to see if that's where your noise is coming from.  If this is your problem try a different type of battery.

Phorhas

what are the pin voltages?

look for cold solder joints
Electron Pusher

grani79

VOLTAGE:

S: 3 Volt
G: 0,5 Volt
D: 6,4 Volt

Keep in mind... it happens after few seconds! It' not always present. It scratches on the speaker after few second I use it.....

grani79

petemoore

I don't know where to look for reference voltages for that transistor pin.
 But, one of us should go to GEO, and read all about how to bias a Mosfet..I just can't recall offhand...go there...it's all typed out concisely.
 The Source at 3v looks high to me, a good portion of the swing is eaten up here since your starting with 9V to work with.
 Transistor pin orientation
 Electro caps orientation
 Drain bias resistor...I used a 100k pot as a V/R, connected for this resistor, after biasing it was replaced by a fixed R value, close to equal R value to what the pot was set at during biasing. Just don't turn the potshaft while removing and checking it's resistance at that' setting.
 I had troubles with this build a couple times...it has to work when it's 'right'.
 The MOsfets are reportedly quite static sensative, and can be blown by handling if a charge is discharged into it....I always handled mine...don't really know how to use it without handling it.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Gringo

Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net