Prices and popularity

Started by jimbob, October 10, 2004, 08:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal- now selling for the low price of 59.99 at Musicians Friend. I have alays seen it for 39.99-which i thought was a good deal for what you got. All of the sudden its about 60$ big ones. In my opinion not a good deal. I may be wrong but I wonder if the popularity of the modding of Boss Ds-1 made the price go up? Im not a marketing genious but it seems odd that after countless threads here at the forum and others about modding the POS made the price go up.

IF so..dont they realize people are modding this cause they --for most cases and my opinion, suck?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

MartyMart

Hi Jimbob,
The DS-1 has always sold for £39.99 in the UK, thats almost 80 Bucks !!!
Have sympathy for your friends across the water  !!
Remember that almost every price you see in "dollars" is charged in "pounds" over here for the SAME item . . . . . ouch !

IMHO it doesn't "suck"  too much, just "sucks" some tone  but can sound fantastic after a good "mod"

Marty 8) .
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

petemoore

There was a bucket full of DS-1's new here at a local store... for 25$... you too could take a new Boss Pedal Home !!! Been ten years tho.
 Get one used that works good, mod the nastiness out of it, and you have a great sounding pedal...
 Maybe the new ones have adopted some of the mods seen here...fancy caps and 4558 or the like ???...I  posed this as an obvious marketting strategy...a 'cheep' DS [with crap caps and cheep OA] and a 'nice' DS...with better components...as complicated as they are, and as nasty as the 'later' middle or 'early' [hard to sort by years...just sort by tone] are, it makes sense to just build the darn thing with ;upscale' parts and have a ready made [slightly more expensive] DS-1...ready to race...out of the box.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jimbob

80 Bucks !!!  Your right. I do now have sympathy. To have to pay 80 usd for that would suck. I could only imagine what some of the more expensive effects go for. I would build them too if i lived there.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"