Fuzzface -- silicon NTK-123a transistors

Started by Chris Lowe, October 10, 2004, 11:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Lowe

I created this monster of a fuzzface using NTK-123a transistors.  This thing sounds amazing with a Strat!  Here's the problem -- it loves the Strat, hates the Gibson.  It just seems to "pin out" when any bass hits it (heavy Gibson pick attacks).  Just for kicks I tried the Gibson through my Tubescreamer before it (to squash any incoming bass) and sure enough, it worked perfectly (even with the tubescreamer turned way up).  

Is there a way to reduce bass before the Fuzzface (e.g., using a capacitor?).  I was thinking of creating a tone knob (like on a guitar) that reduces the bass, but I don't know what values would be effective.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.   :)
(finding the best tone)

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
     Look in the "Schematics" sections for Joe Gagan's "Easy Face" schematics and take a look at his input cap mods.  [or, put a .047 input cap in place of the 2.2 and see if you like it.
Welcome to the Forum!
Brian.

b_rogers

possibly a switchable resistor before the incap to cut down some signal from the humbuckers?  10k? 22k? try it and see if it helps..

Brent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

petemoore

All good suggestions
 Alternatively you could put the input caps [you like for SC and HB pickups] on a switch.
 The added pot's may change the way a FF works IME.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Chris Lowe

Thanks for welcoming me in and for the info.  I'll get back to work on it now!
(finding the best tone)