Parallel Looper

Started by Khas Evets, October 11, 2004, 05:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khas Evets

I'm building a 6 loop true bypass pedal - my first project! - and I want to add the option of switching between parallel and series effect ordering. I was hoping to keep everything passive, but I'm concerned about splitting a signal six ways. I've seen the schematic for the mixer that uses buffers, but I was hoping to keep it simple.

1) Do I need to buffer the signal?
2) If I do need a buffer, do I need a buffer for each loop or can it share one buffer?
3) I'm planning to build a booster next. Would a booster in front solve the problem?

niftydog

Quote1) Do I need to buffer the signal?

Yes. If you intend to feed one signal into six effects units in parallel, you'll definately want a buffer.

Quote2) If I do need a buffer, do I need a buffer for each loop or can it share one buffer?

one well designed buffer should do the trick.

Quote3) I'm planning to build a booster next. Would a booster in front solve the problem?

probably not. It's not about levels it's about impedances.

Say you've got six pedals, each with a 10k input impedance. Hook them all up in parallel and suddenly your effective input impedance is 1.7k. in other words, the current demand on the input signal is increased by a factor of 6!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Khas Evets

Thanks. There are several buffers floating around. Is there one you would recommend?

niftydog

nope. I tend to design my own. simple op amp buffers are a breeze to design and there's plenty of resources around the place. You can't go too wrong.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)