Wah Wah iductors dual

Started by bhealy, October 11, 2004, 10:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhealy

I'm building a dual inductor Wah-Wah. I want to use the Fulltone inductor as the main one as I love the tone of his Clyde Wahs sounding like the old Vox Clyde McCoy's. But I want that Crybaby sound for my second inductor. What is the difference in tone between the two inductors Dunlop is selling? Does the reissue Fasel sound alot like the Vox Clydes? Or does it sound like the old Crybabys? Or does the standard (ECB-156) sound like the old Crybabys?

george

somebody on this forum a while ago opined that the ft "smoked" everything else including the new fasels ... just do a search on "fulltone inductor" and you'll find the thread

bhealy

I know them (fulltone inductors) to be very good in tone. I have tried just about every wah that can be had including Teese's. I have a Clyde deluxe by fulltone. It @#$%in rocks! All hands down the best I have ever jamed with. I'm making a dual inductor Wah based off the wah mod on generalguitargadgets.com and the Clyde deluxe and a Jen Wah-Volume to make a "Super Wah". I was wondering if the Dunlop fasel has a more Vox clyde sound than their other model. Because if the fasel sounds close to a fulltone inductor I don't want to use that as my second inductor. I want to have that old early 70's Crybaby as my second and the Vox Clyde as the first. Then I'm going to mod it with a 6 position cap switch selector, volume gain pot, and a seperate bypass switch as with this switch on the Wah-Volume will be on. With the Wah off it will act as a volume pedal. With this switch off it will the whole circuit (Wah and Volume) will be bypassed.

ESPm2M

I recently completed a Very similar project which I stuffed into a Vox V847 shell that I gutted for the project.  It is a GGG Mod-Wah with a volume mod (ala Jen) SPST switch that simply takes the 4.7uF cap out of the circuit. I used the rotary switches layout so there is the SPol6Pos sweep cap switch and the 3Pol3Pos dual inductor switch (I only have the original Vox inductor installed at the moment, but plan on installing a Fulltone and a Dunlop Yellow Fasel when I can afford it). I used a 3PDT switch for true bypass and a blue effect-in indicator LED, a DC power jack, and a Dunlop Hot Potz II.  As for the PCB layout itself the only changes that I made were to use a 100k trim, instead of a 50k trim, at R1b and R7b, and I used a 10k trim, instead of a 5k trim, at R2.  When I get around to it I will be adding an input buffer/RF filter and a sweep dependent LED intensity circuit at which point my ridiculous super wah will be complete.

Let me know if you have any questions either by reply or PM.

Ed G.

Quote from: ESPm2MI recently completed a Very similar project which I stuffed into a Vox V847 shell that I gutted for the project.  It is a GGG Mod-Wah with a volume mod (ala Jen) SPST switch that simply takes the 4.7uF cap out of the circuit. I used the rotary switches layout so there is the SPol6Pos sweep cap switch and the 3Pol3Pos dual inductor switch (I only have the original Vox inductor installed at the moment, but plan on installing a Fulltone and a Dunlop Yellow Fasel when I can afford it). I used a 3PDT switch for true bypass and a blue effect-in indicator LED, a DC power jack, and a Dunlop Hot Potz II.  As for the PCB layout itself the only changes that I made were to use a 100k trim, instead of a 50k trim, at R1b and R7b, and I used a 10k trim, instead of a 5k trim, at R2.  When I get around to it I will be adding an input buffer/RF filter and a sweep dependent LED intensity circuit at which point my ridiculous super wah will be complete.

Let me know if you have any questions either by reply or PM.

This is great information. I got a crybaby case from a friend (the effect works, the funky dunlop pcb jack was giving the problem) so I'm going to just rip the guts out and use the GGG mod-wah as well. I'll probably start out with the stock dunlop inductor and then try the fulltone or fasel.
What's the consensus about the best types of transistors to use here? Some people seem to like the BC109, but the GGG mod-wah calls for the other type.

AL

Fuzz Central has a diy Clyde McCoy with some pretty good info. I think he used BC 109 transistors.

AL

bhealy

I know that people on this board hate Fulltone shit. Mainly because he uses alot of the free circuits out there and sells them as his own. But I have to admit he has some very well made stuff.
That Clyde he has nails it! It's the best repro clyde out there. I'm going to copy all his values for my project, transistors, caps, resistors etc. It is such a good sounding wah.
I got this housing off of ebay the other day. A JAX Wah-Wah. I got it for $9.50. It's a real big housing, perfect for gutting and putting a bunch of boards and switches. I'm doing the same "lifting" that cap to make it a volume ala Jen Wah/Volume.
One guy said Yellow Fazel. I thought the Reds and the Yellow were the same. Is there a difference?

sir_modulus

Well, I don't know sonically, but yellow's cup core inductor, and the red's a torodial inductor.

Arno van der Heijden

Quote from: bhealyI'm going to copy all his values for my project, transistors, caps, resistors etc. It is such a good sounding wah.

I'm interested in the values he uses. Can you post a schematic or such?

Ed G.

Quote from: bhealyI know that people on this board hate Fulltone shit. Mainly because he uses alot of the free circuits out there and sells them as his own. But I have to admit he has some very well made stuff.
That Clyde he has nails it! It's the best repro clyde out there. I'm going to copy all his values for my project, transistors, caps, resistors etc. It is such a good sounding wah.
I got this housing off of ebay the other day. A JAX Wah-Wah. I got it for $9.50. It's a real big housing, perfect for gutting and putting a bunch of boards and switches. I'm doing the same "lifting" that cap to make it a volume ala Jen Wah/Volume.
One guy said Yellow Fazel. I thought the Reds and the Yellow were the same. Is there a difference?

I did some research on google groups, apparently, the yellow fasel sounds like an evelope filter, while the red is supposed to have more of the 'classic' sound, despite the dunlop's descriptions.

RDV

I've got a red fasel and it sounds like a stock crybaby to me. Nothing special.

RDV