Need help w/ wiring jacks and pots for bass fuzz

Started by stratking, October 11, 2004, 09:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stratking

Hey all,

I have finally gotten around to finishing the Bazz Fuss pedal I started a few months ago for a friend.  I have all onboard components wired up but I am not too sure how to wire the input/output jacks and the pots for thickness, dirt, and vol.  The schematic I am following is the one depicted below that I got off the home-wrecker site:

I am going to try to finish this up soon but might also need some debugging helpl once its all done.  This is only my second pedal that I've built and since it didn't have a parts layout, I tried to do the best I could w/ the schemtic.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

niftydog

pots have three terminals. The middle one is called the "wiper". The wiper is the little arrow head in the schematic symbol.

So, for the Dirt pot for ex. Wire one of the outside terminals to ground - then wire the wiper and the other outside terminal together - and then connect them both to the emitter of the transistors.

Similarly for the thickness pot.

The level pot is slightly different. Wire one outside terminal to the 0.1µF cap, the other outside terminal to ground then the wiper goes directly to the "tip" of the output socket. (see below)

The input socket is a stereo 6.5mm socket - left to right on the schematic it's connections are called "sleeve", "ring" and "tip". You first need to find the "tip" connection. (That is, the one that connects to the pointy bit of your guitar lead!) Wire that terminal to the transformer. There should be two terminals left over. Simply wire one of them to ground and the other to the negative of the battery.

The output jack could be mono or stereo... mono is easier and cheaper. You already have the wiper of the level pot wired to the tip terminal.. now simply wire the other terminal to ground and you're done!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

stratking

Thanks a lot, I think I actually got it.  A few quick questions.  If I understand correctly, it doesn't matter which outside lug I use to connect to ground?  Also, does it matter if the connection from the wiper and other lug to the emitter comes from the emitter lug or the outside lug?

tcobretti

I'd already typed this out so I figured I'd post it even though the question has been answered.

Pots (I am truly a retard so I sometimes get this backwards):
If you hold the pot where the stem is pointed up and the three solder lugs are facing you, the lugs are 123 from left to right.  As you look at a schematic, the bottom of the pot is lug 1, the arrow to the middle is lug 2, and the top is lug 3.  With the thickness control both lugs 2 and 3 go up to the intersection before the .001uf cap.  Similarly, with the dirt control lugs 1 and 2 go to ground.  If you get it backwards, the knobs work the opposite direction, so it's not a big deal.

For true bypass wiring, I defer to the master:

http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/stompsw.gif

Good Luck,
travis

niftydog

QuoteIf I understand correctly, it doesn't matter which outside lug I use to connect to ground? Also, does it matter if the connection from the wiper and other lug to the emitter comes from the emitter lug or the outside lug?

well, it does and it doesn't. I omitted anything about polarity for the sake of clarity... but then forgot to give you a heads up about it at the end!

Basically, it'll work either way, but the pots rotation may not be correct. (ie; clockwise turn = less fuzz is NOT they way you want it!)

So, if you hook it up and the pot is "backwards" then just swap over the two outside terminals. (it generally doesn't matter which terminal the wiper is shorted to, so you can leave that alone.)

What might help is to keep in mind that a pot is a mechanical device, and as such it's operation is pretty obvious;

hold it like tcobretti said, shaft pointing up, terminals pointing towards you.

Now, turn the pot fully anti-clockwise, the wiper moves around close to terminal 1 and furthest from terminal 3. The resistance between the wiper and terminal 1 is at a minimum; between the wiper and terminal 3 is at a maximum.

Now, turn it fully clockwise, the wiper moves around close to terminal 3 and furthest from terminal 1. The resistance between the wiper and terminal 3 is now at a minimum; between the wiper and terminal 1 is at a maximum.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)