OT - FYI Original Univibe

Started by ESPm2M, October 12, 2004, 02:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESPm2M

FYI, there are 2 original Shinei Univibes currently up for auction on eBay (not by me) if anyone is interested.

The prices are pretty ridiculous, but I guess that is what hey are going for these days...

Torchy

$860 .... and the reserve price still hasnt been met ???????

How much for a mint, original, totally cool Easyvi .... erm I mean ... custom made and hand soldered Nuivibe <cough>  :oops:

dubs

Yeah I use to have one, but I bought it in Australia for about $300U.S  two years ago.

badperson

how hard is it to clone one of those?

bp

dubs

Isn't geofex's neovibe a clone of one?

Anyway the one I had was a Shinei resly tone which predates before the univibe (mid 60's). I'll post pics of it shortly.

ESPm2M

badperson, it is definitely a serious challenge.  

The Geo NeoVibe is an excellent clone from what I hear.  I hope to build one some time this year - it is number six in the queue of effects to build.

Search the forum to check out the kinds of problems people have had in building the NeoVibe to see if you think you are up for it.

Alex C

I just recently completed RG's Neovibe, and it's excellent!  I've never heard an original, except on recordings, but when I plug in my new box I BECOME Jimi.  

Mine fired up great the first time, and I'm not like some of the guys around here whose projects are perfect and problem-free every time and look incredible and whose benches are spotless, etc. (cough..Paul Marossy...)  :) .  

Really though, I had almost no problems, the only thing to watch out for is that the speed pot on the LAYOUT diagram is incorrect, but it is correct on the schematic.  

I bought a ready-to-solder board from GGG, and it was great.  
There are several mods available (increasing speed, adjusting phasing depth, etc.)  A quick search will bring these up.    
So there's my endorsement, if it means anything.  Build it now!

Alex

badperson

Quote from: ESPm2Mbadperson, it is definitely a serious challenge.  

The Geo NeoVibe is an excellent clone from what I hear.  I hope to build one some time this year - it is number six in the queue of effects to build.

Search the forum to check out the kinds of problems people have had in building the NeoVibe to see if you think you are up for it.

I am definitely NOT up for it now. I bought a paia stompbox which doesn't work. I don't have a multimeter so I don't have any way of knowing why it doesn't work.

My plan for stompbox world domination is as follows; build the beginner project on this site; then build fuzzface, then hopefully I'll have the experience/tools to get that paia effect running, then, who knows?

I've also got this radio shack "learning lab" that is a little goofy, but a really excellent learning tool, so I'll go thru that over the next couple of months.

bp