OT - re-Tolex an amp?

Started by markr04, October 13, 2004, 03:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markr04

I'd like to re-Tolex my off-white amp. I saw some nifty-spiffy silver Tolex that I'd like to replace it with. I did some looking on the web and didn't find any tutorials for refinishing an amp like this. Are any of you aware of a site dealing with this?

Re-Tolexing looks a little complicated, methinks. Like there are some tricks to prevent sag and such.

Thanks!
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

http://amps.zugster.net/links/

has a number of, well, links... one of which is for tolexing, including a photoessay.

STOMPmole

I recovered my '75 half stack and it's really not that difficult if you're a DIY kind of person.  First you have to remove the old Tolex which usually can be done without destroying it...I then use the old Tolex as a 'pattern' to cut the new stuff.  After making sure you've removed any lumps of old glue from the wood chassis (if the surface is too uneven or bumpy it WILL show through the new Tolex...small imperfections aren't a big deal though) cover it with contact/rubber cement (I think I use DAP brand in a can and apply it with a disposable cheapie brush).  Also cover the backside of the new Tolex with contact cement.  After about 10 minutes you can start sticking the Tolex to your amp chassis.  If you need to reposition it, you CAN pull it up and move it...just keep in mind that you don't want to stretch the new Tolex too much because it will make it look lumpy and stretched in spots.  Don't trim the corners UNTIL YOU GET THE TOLEX STUCK TO THE CHASSIS, otherwise you might not be able to make the seams look clean.  If you have plastic corner protectors it probably won't be make that much difference if you're a little sloppy on the corners.

Anyway, my experience has been that it's pretty easy to recover amps with professional results.  Your mileage might vary!  If you check out 18watt.com I think they might have pictures or a tutorial.

Good luck!

Paul Marossy

I'll agree that it is pretty easy to apply Tolex to an amp cabinet. The hardest part is the corners, which is no big deal if you are using corners. Where you don't have corners, you have to special attention to the joint, or it won't look that good. Ask me how I know...

Quote from: STOMPmole
it's really not that difficult if you're a DIY kind of person.  

remove the old Tolex // then use the old Tolex as a 'pattern' to cut the new stuff.  

Agreed.

If you can solder and / or follow simple directions... you can retolex. The hardest part is the cutting of the seam overlay edges.

The DAP contact is good stuff but REEEAKS like acetone or fiberglass. It will also funk up  wherever you use it for a day so it's good to do in the garage or shed. Watchout for pilots lights!!
  I have had good results with lightly clamping edges and corners with towells and some wax paper. Be sure to lightly sand off any old glue bumps (I lightly sand the rear of the tolex where the glues goes if only to scuff it up, then clean it with naptha).
  Be sure to get a small hard roller or flat plastic blade at home depot or sears to flatten and spread the tolex glue.
  After an hour I use a razor and / or naptha to clean off the excess. Then let it sit overnight before I do the overlap areas.

Hal

are there any tricks to getting nasty/old/ripped tolex OFF?  Or just attack it with all kinds of power tools? :-D

petemoore

Metal Putty knife...4'' should be good...pull on the fabric, so that your'e not pulling directly away from the wood, then slide the putty knife between the wood and fabric, trying to maintain as many threads or fabric intact as possible.
 A wide chisel might work good.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Marossy

Quoteare there any tricks to getting nasty/old/ripped tolex OFF? Or just attack it with all kinds of power tools?

My one experience with pulling Tolex off was pretty easy. I just peeled it off of the enclosure with my bare hands.

QuoteThe hardest part is the cutting of the seam overlay edges.

Yeah, that is rather difficult to make look really good. I did alright not having ever done it before, but I could have maybe done a little bit better job.

I remember one guy who used white glue to Tolex his cab. Check it out: http://www.firebottle.com/ampage/homebrew.cgi?cat=ga&page=134