SOT: im going to build an amp.

Started by Brian Marshall, October 14, 2004, 12:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Marshall

I have an old radio that im going to gut and put an amp inside.

I have decided that I am either going to build the octane, or the P1 from the ax84 site.  Please let me know if im missing something else out there that might be better.  must be something i can puchase as a kit though.

any thoughts on which is better, the p1 or the octane.  im leaning towards the p1, because i do play mostly clean, or at just breaking up levels.  I'm hoping for fendery and voxy tones.

Also.  i want to replace the speaker in the radio.... i really dont have room for anything bigger than 6 inches.  i will of course have an output for a cab as well.  Any suggestions on a speaker that small.

David

Quote from: Brian MarshallI have an old radio that im going to gut and put an amp inside.

I have decided that I am either going to build the octane, or the P1 from the ax84 site.  Please let me know if im missing something else out there that might be better.  must be something i can puchase as a kit though.

any thoughts on which is better, the p1 or the octane.  im leaning towards the p1, because i do play mostly clean, or at just breaking up levels.  I'm hoping for fendery and voxy tones.

Also.  i want to replace the speaker in the radio.... i really dont have room for anything bigger than 6 inches.  i will of course have an output for a cab as well.  Any suggestions on a speaker that small.

Brian:

Check out Doug Hammond's "Firefly" for the amp.  For the speaker, use a 6" Jensen "MOD".

Aharon

Hi Brian.
The P1 and the Hi Octane are two very different amps soundwise and constructionwise.
Some people have had problems with the HO due to the hi gain,you need good lead dress and care when building that amp.The Ax84 site doest not recommend the HO as a first amp project.That said ,it's not unheard of that people pull it off.The P1 is a better candidate,more so if you play clean.
As far as speakers.....6in might be a little small even for practice but you mentioned a speaker out feature.
What tubes came with your radio and other info would be useful.
Take care
Aharon
Aharon

Paul Marossy

You can also play an Octal Fatness relatively clean, depending on how you set the gain and master controls. I think it's a great amp. (I've built it, of course)

There is always the Matchless Spitfire as well. It does clean really well, too. (I built one of these, too)

Brian Marshall

Quote from: AharonHi Brian.
The P1 and the Hi Octane are two very different amps soundwise and constructionwise.
Some people have had problems with the HO due to the hi gain,you need good lead dress and care when building that amp.The Ax84 site doest not recommend the HO as a first amp project.That said ,it's not unheard of that people pull it off.The P1 is a better candidate,more so if you play clean.
As far as speakers.....6in might be a little small even for practice but you mentioned a speaker out feature.
What tubes came with your radio and other info would be useful.
Take care
Aharon

im not planning on using any of the old tubes.  I cant remember the part numbers right now, but I remember someone telling me the power tube may be useful, but the rest are mostly useless.  I want to build from a kit to keep it simple.