Next project - Phaseur Fleur ?

Started by pedro, October 14, 2004, 07:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedro

Ive now successfully built neovibe, rangemaster, easyface, FET bosters , blue magic and Shaka V pedals.

After (debugging )  success of Neovibe I want to try another modulation pedal - and have been looking into the Fleur.

has anyone built this phaser - what can I expect in terms of comaprisons with other known phasers - EH/MXR etc ?

I use with beloved PRS swamp ash special -  so try to build to high standard and with low noise floor ertc  

any thoughts ?

TIA
Pete

axr

the phaseur is a great pedal tons of soldering but very worth it, the clips @ 4ms site are very close, its an awesome phaser and its very unique.

Dji

I'm building a Fleur as my second project. The parts should show up on Monday and I may take a day off to work on it.

I'll let you know how it goes.

mikeb

PCBs for the phaseur are available from GGG!

Mike

pedro

just ordered parts for the fleur tonight from RS ( I''m in the UK )

had to find approximate/nearest parts for the rectangular LEDs and the photcells but I think i'm in the right ball park so should be OK.

starting the etched board this weekend.

Will review it when I'm done.

Re-building Shaka 5 circuit at moment as its pretty harsh sounding - maybe a bug somewhere - anyone else build this version of the Shaka ?

Rgds
Pete

Dji

I got mine from GGG. It's my second PCB purchase from them (Great Cheddar was the other) and my second build.

It took me awhile to get the IC sockets mounted. The holes are much smaller than the pins on the IC sockets I got from Mouser. I tried reaming them out with a pushpin (tip on the Commonsound site) which helped a bit... until the pushpin broke. In the mounting process, I ruined one socket. Luckily, I bought a few of the socket strips so I was able to cut those down to size. (Radio Shack doesn't carry 14-pin IC sockets.)

I've been working late, so it'll be a few components a night until the weekend, unless I can take a half day off tomorrow or Friday.

Onward Fleur Soldiers. Resistors is futile!

pedro

just finished drawing out my board ready for etching this week end and parts all ordered - probably arriving Monday

Will have done sometime next week and will report how it compares with neovibe for the vibe stuff and other phasers for the phasery stuff !!

Anyone else still building or have reports of finished build of this pedal ?

Rgds
Pete

Dji

Nothing. It's too late to debug this evening, though. Sigh.

bioroids

Quote from: pedro
Re-building Shaka 5 circuit at moment as its pretty harsh sounding - maybe a bug somewhere - anyone else build this version of the Shaka ?

Rgds
Pete

I build the Shaka V a few years ago (wow time can pass fast!). I liked the sound of it, not harsh to my ears. Be sure to use J201 fets. I used the NE5532 for the opamp

Luck

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

Dji

I've had some false starts & made some beautious newbie mistakes. The pedal is now "working" in that sound goes through it... but it's not phasing. It affects the sound lightly, like an ineffectual equalizer perhaps.

The visible LED blinks. The flat LEDs blink (I had to correct the 100 vs 100k error they anticipated in their debug info). I can control the rate of the blinking with the speed knob. But no phasing.

I've done every test they prescribe that doesn't require an oscilloscope. I don't know what to do next.

binhjamin99

believe it or not, this is the phaseur fleur...

Dji

With the wave mod no less. What size box is that?

binhjamin99

Quote from: DjiWith the wave mod no less. What size box is that?

the wave mod is a worthwhile mod indeed. The ring function is really cool to get that police/ambulance type siren effect. That's a 1590b chassis.

Dji

Mine will live in a junction box, provided I can bring it to life. I'm debugging as we speak.

The LEDs were blinking, now they're just steady. On we go.

nosamiam

I'm working on one too.  I've managed after some exploration to get the rectangular LED's lit but not modulating and the round LED no-worky.  I'm gonna keep plugging away (because this one was a bit pricey so there's no way I'm gonna scrap it!).

Dji

Mine is phasing, but I think the blend and ring sections aren't doing anything.

It's pretty nifty as-is, but I'm keeping at it.

pedro

its finished ( OK its half in/half out of the box at moment while i test it ! )

I like it - I can get the univibe.....er,  vibe ( sic ) and a nice chorus effect -
some of the settings are very dramatic and I'll never use them - but nice to have some mad options.

Cant seem to get deep sweeping phasing that I was after yet though.
Rgds

Pete

Michael Allen

I've never gotten mine to do deep sweeping. Just use a smallstone for that stuff

jsleep

Dji,

Can you give me the part number on the sockets that didn't fit the holes?  I've use mouser sockets with no problems.  Most of my boards use #66 holes which I thought was a happy medium.  Some of the GEO boards are #69 since R.G.'s pads are smaller.  I do drill larger holes for regulators, transformers, etc.

Just trying to make sure the boards are the best they can be.

JD
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

Dji

I used this one: 575-293314.  Mill-Max DIP Solderless Press-Fit Sockets 14P TIN PIN GLD.

Maybe I ordered the wrong sorta deal?

By the way, you guys have amazing service. I just ordered from you this Saturday, got a shipment email the same day, and had my boards yesterday (Monday). That's nuts, and it's been the same all three times I've ordered from you. The quality has been excellent as well. Thank you!