Tim Escobedo's Pushme Pullyou review

Started by Marcos - Munky, October 14, 2004, 03:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcos - Munky

I was looking for a octave circuit some minutes before Tim post this effect. I decided to give a try to it, and I'm happy. It worked in the first try, and I got a almost clean octave with the gain in minimum, and a good medium gain octave fuzz with the gain in maximum. Sounds like Hendrix's Fire solo, and a bit like the Purple Haze main riff (the one with chords).

MartyB

That's all the description I need ..........building it this weekend!
8)

Marcos - Munky

It's a cool effect. I will post the layout that I used in my site tomorrow.

Kleber AG

Cool Marcos!!

Hope to try it soon as well...
Any sound samples??? 8)

Kleber AG

Marcos - Munky

I don't have a gear to record a soundclip, but I will try to record a simple soundclip today.

jmusser

I'm thinking of starting a Tim Escobedo Fan Club! My goal is to build every one of his circuits. I built the Bronx Cheer a couple days ago (I have a review up), and I have the Jawari and Simple Square Wave Shaper projects bagged up and ready to go. His circuitry is simple and there is a huge variety of sounds to play with.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

ragtime8922

jmusser, I'll tell ya what, I'll join!!! Extremely cool stuff there.

I just started a thread looking for a nasty fuzz sound from Metallica on the intro to "Some Kinda Monster" and I think I may have found the answer in Tim's Ugly Face.

ragtime8922

Woah, LOL, I just looked at my last post. Let me clarify for the people that may not know. Tim has a schematic on his site titled "Ugly Face". LOL.

Marcos - Munky

Layout and soundclips posted in my site.

runmikeyrun

i'll join too.  I've built his Lofo Mofo and I loved it so much i modified it for my own personal uses.  He's got some great circuits on there.
I tried building the Ugly Face but something's wrong with it... i think it has something to do with my messy perfboard style!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

jmusser

Munky, Thanks for the sound sample. I'm not sure I'm going to build this one. Not because it doesn't sound good, but because it's not really on par with the Bobtavia that I already have. Of course, that's totally personal preference there, and my opinion. Having said what I did about the Bobtavia, it's not on par with the Tychobrahe Octavia by a long shot (my opinion again), but they all have their own tones. The Tycho I still need to build, and I consider it the cream of the crop for up octave effects, even over the Fox Tone Machine. One thing I did notice on your sample, is that if you took the fuzz and swirl (generally cut the balls off) of the Tycho, you would have something very close to the Push Me - Pull You tone. I have heard a lot of people wish that they could have the option of cutting the fuzz off the Tycho with a switch. Well, here you are folks!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Kleber AG

:D Thanks for the sound sample Marcos!!! Cool...

Yeah, next week I'm gonna try this one, it's very simple...

Kleber AG

Marcos - Munky

Well, I think that the soundclip don't show everything that the circuit gives, but I believe that it was created to give a good octave with less parts possible and without any complication, like any other Tim's circuit. Anyway, if you're looking for a interesting octave fuzz, try the Digital Octaver Fuzz from Tim. I built it once and liked it a lot (you get Purple Haze solo sound easy), it was too good that a friend of mine asked me to give it for him in his birthday.

RLBJR65

I'm also a big fan of Tim's work so I had to try it myself.
Just finished and it's great!! I was amazed at the sound for such an easy build. It took less than an hour to perf. I used 470k resistors instead of the 500k's listed, 2N5088's for the npn's and a 2N5087 for the pnp. Marcos discription is right on, clean octave to a good warm octave fuzz at the turn of a knob.
Richard Boop

Samuel

Quote from: [email]ragtime8922@aol.com[/email]jmusser, I'll tell ya what, I'll join!!! Extremely cool stuff there.

I just started a thread looking for a nasty fuzz sound from Metallica on the intro to "Some Kinda Monster" and I think I may have found the answer in Tim's Ugly Face.

ahahahaha

WGTP

Tim's Many Faces of Fuzz Article is very educational, as are the veriations of it he built.  Another Fan.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

petemoore

NICE !!!
 Very Respectable Octave Tone...All the cool Octave Stuff In there...AFAIK.
  I like it because it's got a 'soft' splatty sound, and is slightly milder in Fuzz Amout, and gets comparitevely Wide Freq Range Octave !!!
 A 2N3906 was giving me the trubbles [ :twisted: , so I replaced with an NTE158 and it quit motorboating and worked right.
 Great Circuit !!! Thanks go to Tim Escebedo !!!
 >>>I was trying this thing out for an hour. What an excellent Octave Fuzz. Seems quite stable over a nice wide range. I found it quite easy to put together, and the Octave effect is really Great.
 Without naming names, it compares favorably to all the Octave Effects I've built [that's most of them]. Gets that super OctaSchplatt when a harmonic is rung on high strings, Super Sustainey Octave Harmonic can be controlled to Fade to Ring Mod type tones...Doesn't let loose high amplitude BLATTS like some of the others I've tried...seems to get really nice, usable mixes of harmonics. Gain knob works great, lowers gain and Octave presence, getting even more interesting responses from gained up inputs !!! No more testing, and without further Adieu IMO, the Push You Pull Me is an Absolutely Excellent Octave Effect to Build !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.