What sort of switcher is this?

Started by markr04, October 14, 2004, 08:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markr04

I'd like to build a box that allows me to switch between two lines of effects. Or another way to look at it, to switch between amps with one guitar. I'll gladly search for the build info/threads if I could get the name of this device to search for.

Many thanks!

Mark
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

Sic

its called A/B box... they also have A/B/Y boxes which lets you select A, or B, or A AND B.

Pretty easy build, if just for effects selection, but if you want to do multiple amps you should build one of the better ones which will take care of the HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

ESPm2M

Are you referring to an A/B/Y switch box (or even just an A/B switch box), or did I miss understand something?

ESPm2M

sic, you beat me too it!

Sic

here is a good one that R.G. (the master and god himself) designed... its hosted at General Guitar Gadgets

Sic

See how the transformers isolate the ground signal as it says on the name? This keeps there from being ground loops which cause HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM... humm is bad

markr04

Thanks guys. Yeah, an A/B/(Y?) switch is what I'd like to build. I have a multi-effects board, and my DIY effects. I'd like to switch between the big board and a string of DIY effects. The single output goes to the amp.

Thanks for the advice on the transformer-based, humless design. I'd like to try something simpler for now though. I have lots of 3PDT stomp switches, so that's not a problem. Is there a "middle-grade" switcher - something between a simple switch and the transformer-based design? I'd like to still avoid popping and tone-sucking too. I'm clueless. A buffer or something? A simple transistor to ground?

Thanks so much.

David

Mark:

The reference I made in your other thread that cited www.jt30.com could help you here.  There's an A/B/Y box there described by John Atchley.  I built that one more than two years ago.  I guess you could call it my first effect.  I didn't get any hum out of it.  It just THUNKED when you switched from A to B.

markr04

Thanks David. I looked at that very busy page, and searched with my browser for a/b/y, atchley, splitter, aby, and many variations. I couldn't locate it.

But I just thought of something. Because the end of my two effects chains are not going to be the end of the line, I need to get the two chains back into one output to go to the amp.

My thought is:

_____________effect chain one
guitar--splitter<_____________>merger--amp
_____________effect chain two

I hope that looks okay^. The underscores are just used to space the text out properly.

More complicated than I thought. And I'd like this to be in one enclosure. What's that... six ins and outs. The merger should not be switchable, only the splitter. Anyone else have ideas?

David

Here's a link to an ABY:

http://www.harpamps.com/micKdiy/Build-an-AB-box%20.html

Substitute a DPDT for the SPDT and you can add LEDs.  Then you have the unit I was talking about.

As for the combining, can you say...  mixer?

markr04

Quote from: DavidHere's a link to an ABY:

http://www.harpamps.com/micKdiy/Build-an-AB-box%20.html

Substitute a DPDT for the SPDT and you can add LEDs.  Then you have the unit I was talking about.

As for the combining, can you say...  mixer?

Found it that time, David. Thanks.

I can see what you mean about that popping without a resistor to ground.

As for the mixer... if I had a small one like that, I'd just route the whole chain through sends and returns and be done with it. But I have a huge mixer used for engineering and production, it's not something ya'd wanna move, and unuseable for a gig. I'll just have to figure this out somehow with a stompbox - which is much smaller to carry and easier to stomp than pressing little mute/solo buttons.

Mark

David

Quote from: markr04As for the mixer... if I had a small one like that, I'd just route the whole chain through sends and returns and be done with it. But I have a huge mixer used for engineering and production, it's not something ya'd wanna move, and unuseable for a gig. I'll just have to figure this out somehow with a stompbox - which is much smaller to carry and easier to stomp than pressing little mute/solo buttons.

Mark, Mark!  Think outside the bun...  err...  mixer!  You don't need a whole console to skin this particular kitty.  You could do this as simple as a resistive mixer.  An example of this is a "blend" or "wet/dry mix" knob.  You could also have an active mixer.  AMZ has an example of a 4-in-1-out.  I think General Guitar Gadgets has something similar.

Check this link out: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/richardo/practiceamp/practiceman.gif
It's by a guy named Len Galasso.  The distortion/clean blend knob on this beast is a resistive mixer...  right up your alley.

markr04

LOL! Silly me! Okay, I see what you're getting at. I was thinking some sort of bulky, expensive... well, you know.

Okay, I'll start looking into that. Thanks a lot for your input!