suggest a build to fit in altoids tin!

Started by aaronkessman, October 15, 2004, 09:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronkessman

hey guys,

can anyone suggest a good stompbox that i can build on perfboard and fit in an altoids tin? basically anything except a boost and a fuzz face, since i dont need those. so any suggestions?

thanks,
Aaron

petemoore

Small Stone...lol
 Lo Mo Fo
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Samuel

i second the tim esobedo suggestion - bizarre effects to match a bizarre enclosure

aaronkessman

MartyMart

Ruby amp--- with a separate speaker cab of course !!
small circuit two knobs.
Marty.

EDIT: I second the Tube Reamer idea !
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Joe Hart

Distortion +. Just make sure that you breadboard it first to see what values you want for the two potentiometers (I'm guessing you would not have any control knobs).
-Joe Hart

aaronkessman

i like the idea of the ruby amp - anyone know where i can hear samples of it?

Nasse

Some Tube Sound Fuzz variant is something that might be doable miniatyre job. IMHO it sounds quite good so you can leave the bypass switch out (it is totally unnecessary if you have it on all the time anyhow, and if you fiddle the circuit it cleans quite nice with guitar volume pot). And with few of those 3V lithium button cells the battery is no problemo.

In Finland we have those Läkerol sweeties in similar boxes (thank you Sweden) and sometimes our national product SISU is available in tin case.
  • SUPPORTER

GreenEye

The Rambler looks very small.  I guess it does some octave stuff.  I've been wanting to do the Rambler "Plus."

http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html

pswoods

Is this just for grins, or something you'd really use?

I built a metronome with 1/4" out (for mixer that goes into my PC for practice) in an Altoids tin (forgot to get an enclosure when I got the stuff at RShack). The tin is very flimsy, so you will probably want to build some kind of frame/reinforcement for the stomp switch at the very least. It's probably best not to think of it as metal at all...

RDV

aaronkessman

i was not going to put a switch on it at all...which is why the ruby amp is so appealing - it acts just like an amp would.

ESPm2M

Quote from: petemooreSmall Stone...lol
 Lo Mo Fo

I second the Lo Mo Fo idea! The Ruby amp would be pretty awesome as well!

How about a Jawari?

Marcos - Munky

You can try to fit Tim's new octave circuit inside of it. I will post a layout in my site tonight, but I don't know if it's small enought to share the space with a battery.

LP Hovercraft

Interfax Harmonic Percolator (if you can get 2n404's)
Jordan Bosstone
ROG May Queen
MXR Micro Amp
Escobedo Thing Modulator, or PWM
Harry bissel's guitar synth  :P

Elektrojänis

Quote from: MartyMartRuby amp--- with a separate speaker cab of course !!
small circuit two knobs.

Or what about putting a tiny speaker in the same encolsure... Combo.

Like this: http://www.hut.fi/~pjunno/temp/fishermans.jpg (This one is only the basic LM386 circuit with no knobs though.)

ryanscissorhands

I think the key here is to make something small enough that it still doesn't fill the tin. You need the extra dramatic effect of pulling a mint out of it, popping it in your mouth, THEN plugging into it and wailing out a solo.

-OR-

After an "I wish I was Slash" solo, offer someone a mint from your pedal.

aaronkessman

well, i guess if the speakers in there thats one less 1/4" jack to squeeze in...

Joe Hart

Who carries a suitable speaker? Mouser? I ask because I wanted to build a little combo amp using a Spam tin. Then I could call it The Spamplifier. Any suggestions on a speaker? It doesn't have to be quite as small as the Altoids idea.
-Joe Hart