All hail the ROG Tube Reamer!!!

Started by Danny G, October 15, 2004, 09:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayp5150

Marty, thanks--and, yes, the amp.  I thought I was Marshall shopping about 6 years ago, and I came across a used 5150 head, it had that saturation I had in my mind, and now I can't find another amp I like.

I'm a bit biased, I guess--if anyone has one, do yourself a favor and put Sovteks in the output.  Thick and creamy!

vanhansen

I used to have a 5150 (first release) but got rid of it.  The thing weighed a ton.  I miss it sometimes but I am very happy with my Marshall.  I do agree that Sovteks in the power section make a difference in that amp.  I did the same thing.
Erik

jayp5150

Yeah, lugging that thing around has done wonders for my rotator cuff!

I take that back, I did like a few Marshalls, but they were $1500 and up.  My 5150 was $500!

vanhansen

That's about what I paid when I got mine.  I played alot of Marshalls and never really liked the 4100 or 4500 much.  A friend of mine turned my on to the 2100 (pre SLX model 2100) and I fell in love with it.  One channel, two volumes (volume B is a boost), effects loop, the typical Bass, Mid, Treble and Presense, Gain and Volume on the pre-amp, and that's it.  I love the tone.  

I've been using an SD-1 to put the gain over the edge but once I build the BSIAB II I'm going to try that, probably roll the gain back on the amp to clean it up a little and push with the BSIAB II.  I've been looking at the Tube Reamer too.  It seems simple enough to build.  

I'm new to DIY effects and did the beginner project so now I'm teaching myself how to read schematics with all the great help here and looking at different circuits.  I like the simplicity of the Tube Reamer build.  It's worth a shot even just for the experience.
Erik

jayp5150

Cool, I'm a newb, too, and the Tube Reamer is proabaly my next one (or I may put a Bazz Fuss in my Bass--have all the parts for that one!).

One time this guy had a Marshall in a store that had some crazy preamp tube socket extension that added a gain stage to the preamp (at leaset that's how he explained it).  I'm not sure what it was exactly, but it screamed.  It may have been an actual tube with an extra plate--I'm not sure.  I'm tube 'tarded.

Anyone know about that?

vanhansen

That's pretty much what the SLX is.  It has an extra tube in the pre-amp and has sick amounts of gain.  Too much for me.  That's why I like the 2100 model that preceded it.  It doesn't have that extra tube.  I'm guessing it was probably a SLX.
Erik

ragtime8922

Quote from: jayp5150Marty, thanks--and, yes, the amp.  I thought I was Marshall shopping about 6 years ago, and I came across a used 5150 head, it had that saturation I had in my mind, and now I can't find another amp I like.

I have an ENGL Powerball that you'd absolutely love. When I was looking for a head I too loved the 5150's saturation. I just feel that if you have to dime a knob then your not getting what you want. (most times when you dime you're looking for 11 or 12 on the dial...at least) The ENGL does the heaviest stuff at 12 O'clock on the gain pot, has 4 channels (2 chns, 2 modes) and does it with beautiful, articulate tone. a sort of 5150 boutique amp with the low end to die for. Try it, you'll love it.

jayp5150

Thanks for the tip on the ENGL.  I'll keep my eyes open.

Van, this was actually a tube-type thing that you could put in any amp.  He actually had it in an older amp.  Single channel...am I thinking JTM?  The ones that looked like what Hendrix used.  Taller heads, gray-ish.  I can't recall.  I remember though that he took it out and put a regular 12ax7 in to show me the difference.

Not that I need more gain, I was just curious if anyone heard of that.

petemoore

Built a Tube Reamer Today, Sounded Great !!!
 I've been wanting to mess with tone controls, so I wired the dual socket for using the 2nd half of the OA for a buffer to drive TC's, which doesn't really take much longer than grounding the inputs..
 Built a BM TC, and this is an excellent sounding pedal. I used two Seriesed Si'and a J201 for the clipping diodes. TL082.
 The tone is quite dialable..especailly with the way the Gain Knob adds treble and gain.
 LM386 for Voltage Divider.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.