1M pulldowns in place & STILL popping!?!

Started by vseriesamps, October 15, 2004, 10:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vseriesamps

Hey everybody

I just built the ROG Tube Reamer (great pedal!) and I put 1 meg pulldown resistors at the input and output of the effect - heck I put them right on the switch! - to ground but it still totally pops when I stomp it. Anyone with an insight into why this might be happening?

Thanks always
K
uh oh

Danny G

Good question, I was about to ask this myself.  With all my praise for the Tube Reamer, I did notice it pops like a mother-effer.  I did the 1 Megs on the input and output jacks as well.  Pop!!!  

Still sounds killer though, heh!

puretube

if it is this: http://www.runoffgroove.com/tubereamer.html,

are you sure you connected the pulldown-R at the input directly to the inputcap 0.05? (not to the input-jack!).

an output pulldown-R in this case doesn`t make sense at the vol-pot-wiper, but should connect directly to the output-jack!

:?:

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Danny G

I'm using an LED.  I'll try the 1M to the input cap though.

Lonestarjohnny

The Ol' Orval Redenbacher Syndrome, Little less salt please  :lol:
J/J, I got mine on the Jack's Guy's, Just Like Puretube Stated, and I got no Popping,
Johnny

John Egerton

Are you using your LED in conjunction with a 3pdt switch?

If so, make sure that you're using the correct current limiting resistor value.

I had the same trouble with my SmallClone... I used a lower value resistor to make the LED brighter, in the end, I discovered that to be the source of the problem, after I'd completley frankinstiened my pedal with pulldowns.  :roll:

Make sure you're using a value such as 4.7k ohms

... John
Save a cow... Eat a Vegetarian.........

AL

Do a search for this one. There was a discussion here on the same subject last (?) week. RG (who else?) had a solution and had some schems posted on his site.

AL

ragtime8922

Some schems use 2.2Meg resistors. Will this make a difference?

Gus

You have a bad switch or real leaky caps.  With good caps you don't need pulldowns

puretube

RDV

Practically all my true bypass pedals have some popping even with pulldowns, but I use a lot of amp preamp gain which amplifies everything(what a redundent sentence). The only one that's almost completely quiet is the Rodent that uses R.G.'s Millenium1+. None of them pop so loud that it's really heard over the din of my awful band though.

RDV

Gus

I am not wrong.

Pay attention.  When using leds with 3 pole switches you need a very good low ESR electro across the power supply rails.  Use >220uf not Xicon or IC brands.

If you are building on PCBs and the in and out caps are soldered to the board, make sure the PCB is clean between the leads, any flux will be a leackage path.  I tend to not use PCBs so my caps have one end in the air no PCB leakage path.

Some switches pop no matter what you that is a switch problem

Mike Burgundy

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=23743
That's the one.
Good electro's across the PS is always good. If you can't get the really low ESR ones, or have to pay too much, a 1nF poly across the electro will do just the trick.
In-and outputs can still be charged, even with *perfect* caps. Go figure.
That link has some very interesting info on LEDs causing pops.

RDV

Aren't low-leakage electros quite large though?

RDV

Mike Burgundy

use a regular one, bridge it to get the high-frequencies covered.

Gus

I am not wrong.

Pay attention.  When using leds with 3 pole switches you need a very good low ESR electro across the power supply rails.  Use >220uf not Xicon or IC brands.

If you are building on PCBs and the in and out caps are soldered to the board, make sure the PCB is clean between the leads, any flux will be a leackage path.  I tend to not use PCBs so my caps have one end in the air no PCB leakage path.

Some switches pop no matter what you that is a switch problem

puretube

a capacitor doesn`t only get charged from the "inside" of the circuit (bias) through leakiness - but also from the "outside" (e.g. momentary signal-voltage);

scroll down to: "so then what", for more info on "pop" ("impedance jumping");

RDV

Doesn't "Millennium" transistian type bypass help in this regard. I say that cause my Rodent(w/Millennium 1+) is almost completely pop-free.

RDV