power source with multiple pedals, pedal board.

Started by SirPoonga, October 16, 2004, 05:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirPoonga

Hello, I just found out about building your own stompboxes.  Looks interesting, I like fooling around with anything electronic and componants :)

I have a question about powering these things.  Ok, I don't have much for pedals right now, I found a sound I like after playing around with VST plugins through programs on the computer.  It involves a distortion, an overdrive, a boost with control of boost frequency, A pass-through blender, and possibly a low pass filter with control of frequency.   one for input from the guitar, one for output to amp, and the other set that goes to effects.  If you know the right term for that let me know.  

Now, looking at the schematics for some of these types of pedal I think I could build my own multi effect board using an empty rockman footswitch boards you find on ebay.

SO, I am wondering I should be able to have a wall wart power all of that, right?  If I don't have access to a power supply with enough plugins fo the amp and this custom pedal board would I need a 9v battery to power each  effect part?  Would all of it be too much for a single 9v battery?  Would a couple of 9V batteries in parallel work?  I'll worry about the wiring later.

Once I figure this out my next plan is to figure out how to wire up the pass-thru blender so when it is off the other effects act as a normal effect chaing.  But when I turn the pass through on the effects go throught he effects input and output of the pass through and the guitar goes tot he input of the pass through, and the output to the amp.  I'd rather have a true bypass through the pass through than use the blending knob of the pass through to control how the signal goes through.  though that might be a bit complex.  I'd think a DPDT or 3PDT switch might work too.  Again, worry about that one later.

I might just make them all seperate boxes too and use patch cables which might be the easiest solution.

markr04

How 'bout that? A n00b answering his own question. j/k. Glad you found what you were looking for.

Welcome to the community. There are very knowledgeable and selfless  people in these here parts.
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

SirPoonga

Heh, thanks.  Being on a modem it can take awhile to find the answer, sometimes it's just easier to ask :)

niftydog

just for the record;

the spyder is an awesome, all singing, all dancing solution... but you could get away with a single supply. It just has to have enough grunt to power all of your effects. Wire the separate cables in parallel or make a daisy chain.

A single 9V is not enough power to run more than one or two effects for any decent length of time.

Parallel batterys can be bad news. You end up wasting energy due to the fact that one battery might discharge faster than the others. Then, the good batterys try to charge the bad battery instead of running the circuit.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)