Equalizer Distortion idea

Started by Connoisseur of Distortion, October 17, 2004, 02:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Connoisseur of Distortion

Me again. If you guys get sick of my suggestions, feel free to say so...

This idea is of a pedal I wish to make once I become better at the whole calculating/soldering/debugging thing. I currently do not want to test any of my ideas because i could mistake a poor solder messing up a circuit for a poorly thought out concept...

I want to make an equalizer with clipping on each frequency. I want the clipping level of each frequency range to be controllable, and completely independent of one another.

Surely someone sees the use of this... everything from a punchy metal distortion ( lotsa highs and lows with a lot of clipping ) to a woody-esque acoustic simulator ( lotsa lows with no clipping and highs with a little buzz )

again, feedback is appreciated!

markusw

Have a look for C. Andertons´s Quadra Fuzz. Should give you some ideas for your project,

Markus

WGTP

Cool idea.  I would think you would want both distortion level and overall level on each "band", so you vary both.  Hey while we are at it, why not use both a diode to ground (Rat) and diode in the loop (Tube Screamer/SD1) distortion for each, so you could mix that also.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

cd

Yup, you're describing the Quadrafuzz.  Look for the book "DIY Projects for Guitarists" at your local library for it.

Connoisseur of Distortion

:D

i guess i just joined the effect stuff too late...

thanks for all the info... i'll have to look up this schematic! ( it will go good with the 3 circuit boards i printed, etched, drilled, and soldered over the weekend )

aron

As usual Craig Anderton had a good idea. The Quadrafuzz has been made into a kit as well as a software plug-in too!

RDV

Doesn't E-H make a graphic fuzz?

RDV

petemoore

Quote from: RDVDoesn't E-H make a graphic fuzz?

RDV
Yes I have a broken one here...don't really know how to go about fixing it...need voltage references for the supply etc.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RDV

Quote from: petemooreYes I have a broken one here...don't really know how to go about fixing it...need voltage references for the supply etc.
Yo Pete, try this, supposedly this is the same as the EQ section. Looks like 18v bipolar power. http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/EHGraphicEQ.JPG

RDV

Mark Hammer

Quote from: RDVDoesn't E-H make a graphic fuzz?

RDV

The Graphic Fuzz is essentially a fuzz followed by an EQ.  Where it is different is that it uses an envelope follower and VCA to re-expand the signal in a manner that complements tha way in which your average diode-based fuzz compresses it.  The intent is to make the Graphic Fuzz retain the dynamics of the original pre-fuzz signal.

It does NOT do any sort of selective clipping of individual bands.

RDV

Quote from: Mark HammerThe Graphic Fuzz is essentially a fuzz followed by an EQ.  Where it is different is that it uses an envelope follower and VCA to re-expand the signal in a manner that complements tha way in which your average diode-based fuzz compresses it.  The intent is to make the Graphic Fuzz retain the dynamics of the original pre-fuzz signal.

It does NOT do any sort of selective clipping of individual bands.
Yeah, I figured that out too after I went to the E-H site.

RDV

DDD

It would be more impressive to use hex pickup with six independent overdrive srages. Actually it's a wet dream of every guitar player.
Advantages: simple schematic, very effective "pseudo tone control", virtually no intermodulation distortion.
Problems: hex pickup and 6-wire cable.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

Peter Snow

You can find the PAiA kit for the Quadrafuzz and a schem here:

http://www.paia.com/quadrafz.htm

If you build the one in the Anderton book be careful, there is at least one mistake in the schematic.

Peter
Remember - A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Connoisseur of DistortionI want to make an equalizer with clipping on each frequency. I want the clipping level of each frequency range to be controllable, and completely independent of one another.

The need to do this via separate channels per string, etc., would depend on what it is you want to accomplish.  

Pre-clip EQ-ing has far more mileage in it that many people realize.  If you boost specific bands and then feed the result into your average 2-diode clipper, what happens is that some bands are always closer to the clipping point.  The effect of applying the diode clipping to the WHOLE signal is that the volume level remains pretty constant across the fretboard, but some zones clip more easily than others do by virtue of the pre-boost.  To get those gronky wolf-tones that Billy Gibbons is so famous for, I just stick a simple parametric EQ stage ahead of a distortion, dial in the zone that I want to howl, and play as per usual.  When I get to that note and pick just a tad harder, you get a serious boost in distortion amount without any large change in level.

Of course, that may not be what you want from this.  Getting frequency-selective clipping, though, is a separate thing from reducing IM through parallel clipping stages.  Note that even using something like a Quadrafuzz will not get you the wolf-tones I described, because the bands it spits the signal into are too broad to emphasize any single note or small range of notes.  It WILL get you a cleaner distortion sound in your chording, but again, is that what you're aiming for?

WGTP

Paia is just up the road about 30 miles from me, I haven't been by there is years.

Don't guess I have seen the scheme for the Quad Fuzz before, it's like 4 tube screamers with different EQ.  A switch for each channel and you have the different diode idea covered (TS/Rat).  A 2 channel version for highs and lows might be possible on the small RS bread board with a dual op amp.  Hmmm   8)

Where is the software Version :?:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

markusw

QuoteWhere is the software Version

Comes with Cubase, if I remember right.