Purple Peaker Questions?

Started by GuitarLord5000, October 18, 2004, 02:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuitarLord5000

After repeatedly listening to the sound clips at home-wrecker.com, I've come to the conclusion that I HAVE to build the Purple Peaker.  I just have a few questions before going part hunting.

On the ROG (home-wrecker) schemo, they are utilizing two SPST switches to switch the hi and low sections in and out.  My first question is this, what happens when both switches are in the off/open postition?  Is there a bypassed sound, or is the effected signal off?  I would think it's off, but what do I know, right?
Also, would there be an easy way to add LED indicators to the separate hi and low sections?  Maybe just tying them in between the switches and ground.  Open switch, LED off, closed switch, LED on?  Would this have an adverse affect on the sound, or would I need to use DPDT's (I've got four or five Alpha DPDT's laying around, so that wouldnt be a problem.)

Thanx in advance for any replies.  I just want to make sure that I have everything I need before starting this project.  I dont want it to end up on the backburner waiting on parts.  I've got PLENTY enough of those already!
Life is like a box of chocolates.  You give it to your girlfriend and she eats up the best pieces and throws the rest away.

B Tremblay

The sound, when both switches are off, is basically the same as your original guitar signal.  It does sound a bit more "alive" and is slightly louder than unity volume.  I didn't build mine with a bypass switch, so I can't say for sure.

I'd use a DPDT switch to provide LED indicators for each peak.  It's the quickest method if you already have some DPDTs.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

GuitarLord5000

Thanx man!  I appreciate the help!  I was wondering if it'd need a bypass switch, but since I dont, I'll definately use DPDT's for the LED indicators, and I'll prolly be able to fit this into a RACO junction box.  Sweet!
Life is like a box of chocolates.  You give it to your girlfriend and she eats up the best pieces and throws the rest away.

Gilles C

I used 2 switches on mine (I used the original schematic from Aron's site), and I like the fact that I can use only the HI switch or both ON.

I use it with only the HI switch ON when I want a bit more highs for solos with some distortion, and with both switches ON with a clean sound for rhythm.

If I was to box it again, I would use a DPDT with an OFF position.

(LO+HI)-OFF-(HI only)

Gilles

GuitarLord5000

I like the ROG mods because I will use the LO to give my MXR Dist + a little more rut, and will use the HI to give my clean sound more sparkle.  The LO+HI will probably only be usable in a few applications due to the EQ of my amp.  I feel the separate switches will give me a bit more flexibility in a live situation.  I've got really high hopes for this effect!

gtech

Quote from: GuitarLord5000The LO+HI will probably only be usable in a few applications due to the EQ of my amp.

It reminds me that it also depends on which guitar I use, and on what amp setting I use also.

So 2 switches are better then.

Gilles C
Sorry, I had to do it...