External power supply for old Boss pedals

Started by Carl, October 19, 2004, 08:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl

Hi!

I am building a pedal board for my stompboxes and two of them are old Boss pedals (a PH-1 and PH-1R) and if I remember it right, they do not run on 9v DC (like most other do) when they are connected to a power supply. I can't remember if they required higher voltage (11v) or if they ran on AC.

Does anyone else remember?

TIA

/Carl

petemoore

You try E-mailing Boss ?
 Does it not indicate what voltage input for supply should be used on the box somewhere?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Carl

Quote from: petemooreYou try E-mailing Boss ?
 Does it not indicate what voltage input for supply should be used on the box somewhere?

1. Yes I have e-mailed Boss. They have forwarded my question to the service department who might answer if they have the time...

2. Nope, no info on the the box or in the manual.

That's why I'm asking you guys for help...

/Carl

analogmike

Hi,

From my FAQ:

Most older Boss pedals were designed for an unregulated ACA power supply. The ACA adaptor actually puts out about 12V DC, and the old pedals have a diode and resistor inside to reduce this to 9V. When you use a battery in these old pedals, the battery 9V bypasses the diode and resistor so the pedal gets the full 9V. The PSA will not have enough voltage to work right with these pedals. So check your pedal, they originally had a sticker on them telling you which power supply type to use. They also say on the bottom plate if it needs the PSA or ACA. If it says PSA then any regulated power supply (Dunlop, Ibanez, etc) will work. But if it says ACA, then you need to get a boss ACA (ACA120 in the USA) power supply. We sell the ACA supplies also for about $20. The Voodoo labs Pedal Power 2 also has switchable ACA outputs.

have fun!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

Mark Hammer

I have a BF-1 (similar series I gather, based on the number) in one of those cast aluminum textured-finish chassis.  It wants 12vdc.  On the other hand, it can not use batteries.  Can the PH-1 function off batteries or is wall power a requisite?

Carl

Quote from: analogmikeHi,

From my FAQ:

Most older Boss pedals were designed for an unregulated ACA power supply. The ACA adaptor actually puts out about 12V DC, and the old pedals have a diode and resistor inside to reduce this to 9V. When you use a battery in these old pedals, the battery 9V bypasses the diode and resistor so the pedal gets the full 9V. The PSA will not have enough voltage to work right with these pedals. So check your pedal, they originally had a sticker on them telling you which power supply type to use. They also say on the bottom plate if it needs the PSA or ACA. If it says PSA then any regulated power supply (Dunlop, Ibanez, etc) will work. But if it says ACA, then you need to get a boss ACA (ACA120 in the USA) power supply. We sell the ACA supplies also for about $20. The Voodoo labs Pedal Power 2 also has switchable ACA outputs.

have fun!

Thanks!

So then I need 12V DC for my old phasers. Great!

/Carl

Carl

Quote from: Mark HammerI have a BF-1 (similar series I gather, based on the number) in one of those cast aluminum textured-finish chassis.  It wants 12vdc.  On the other hand, it can not use batteries.  Can the PH-1 function off batteries or is wall power a requisite?

Wow! You have a BF-1? That's a great flanger. I am actually considering one but the asking price is a little steep.

My phaser looks different, they look just like any Boss-pedal. They're just older (and better...) and they can run on batteries.

/CArl

Mark Hammer

Quote from: CarlWow! You have a BF-1? That's a great flanger. I am actually considering one but the asking price is a little steep.

My phaser looks different, they look just like any Boss-pedal. They're just older (and better...) and they can run on batteries.

I lucked into it for $25.  One of the interesting things we managed to learn about it is that although it says "9vdc" on the chassis beside the barrel jack, it says 12vdc on the service manual.  It will run with a 9vdc PSU, but it runs MUCH better with 12vdc.  The sweeps are more dramatic.

Carl

Quote from: Mark Hammer
Quote from: CarlWow! You have a BF-1? That's a great flanger. I am actually considering one but the asking price is a little steep.

My phasers looks different, they look just like any Boss-pedal. They're just older (and better...) and they can run on batteries.

I lucked into it for $25.  One of the interesting things we managed to learn about it is that although it says "9vdc" on the chassis beside the barrel jack, it says 12vdc on the service manual.  It will run with a 9vdc PSU, but it runs MUCH better with 12vdc.  The sweeps are more dramatic.

$25!! Hey I will double that if you're interested... Seriously, congratulations, that's an exellent flanger.  It's stange that no one is copying the old Boss phasers and flangers. The patent should have expired by now and they are hard to find in the used market. (I found a 24 year old mint boxed NOS PS-1R though)

/Carl

Vsat

Mark and list,
That was an interesting experience when you lent me your newly-acquired BF-1 to recalibrate with the scope. The schematic in the service manual most definitely indicates 12V supply instead of 9V. It sounds  better since the exponential converter and LFO can sweep over a wider range using 12V supply. Looking at user reviews it seems other people like this "mod" too  :)

Carl, the BF-2 is an entirely different sounding unit than the BF-1... BF-1 much better sounding IMHO.
Regards, Mike

Fret Wire

You can also convert an older Boss ACA pedal to use the PSA power supply.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Carl

Quote from: VsatMark and list,
That was an interesting experience when you lent me your newly-acquired BF-1 to recalibrate with the scope. The schematic in the service manual most definitely indicates 12V supply instead of 9V. It sounds  better since the exponential converter and LFO can sweep over a wider range using 12V supply. Looking at user reviews it seems other people like this "mod" too  :)

Carl, the BF-2 is an entirely different sounding unit than the BF-1... BF-1 much better sounding IMHO.
Regards, Mike

Yes I know. BF-2 is nowhere near.

/Carl

Carl

Quote from: Fret WireYou can also convert an older Boss ACA pedal to use the PSA power supply.

OK, but I don't have any PSs, so I need to build something from scratch.

/Carl

mrsage

What's the e-mail address for Boss?

I tried finding it on that there interweb-thingie, but couldn't find anything...

:D

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)