mxr reisue distortion+ pedal mod

Started by mxr2000, October 19, 2004, 02:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mxr2000

hi i would like to know where i can find a place(site)  get a new reisue pedal moded to the original 70's mxr distortion pedal specs? also if would likr to know if i use a non true bypass pedal together with one that is a true bypass  with both on would that afect the sound or only when the "non TB" is off? . because i was thinking using a mxr dist+,mxr 10band eq and a phase 90 all of them "non TB" to copy Van Halen,Randy Rhoads,Boston sound together with a Analogman "KOT" true bypass "TB" pedal.

thanks for your help

Dave Z

The non-true-bypass pedals only affect tone (in an unintended way) when they are 'off'...there is a little bit of signal leaked to ground when they are "off"...when they are ON, they affect the sound a LOT because that's what they are supposed to do!

As far as modding it, there was a post recently here on the board about how to do this (generally, not Dist+ specific), some time in the last week.

mxr2000

Quote from: Dave ZThe non-true-bypass pedals only affect tone (in an unintended way) when they are 'off'...there is a little bit of signal leaked to ground when they are "off"...when they are ON, they affect the sound a LOT because that's what they are supposed to do!

As far as modding it, there was a post recently here on the board about how to do this (generally, not Dist+ specific), some time in the last week.
you think is ok to use a true bypass switch to bypass the mxr pedals from the signal? who here can do a original 70's mxr distortion+ replica? when you say that the mxr pedals affect the sound you meant in a good way?

Fret Wire

Converting a Dist.+ reissue to original specs is very easy. All you have to do is change out the silicon clipping diodes for 1N270 Germanium diodes. You will then lose some output volume. Luckily, the reissue uses a 47k volume pot which helps in the volume dept. If there wasn't enough volume after the diode conversion, the output resistor can be lowered to increase volume.

The Dist.+ is also very easy to build from scratch to the original specs. For the Rhodes era, just use a 741 IC, 1N270 diodes, carbon film resistors, ceramic for the caps, except the 1uf's which are tantalum.

As far as True bypass is concerned, the sound you are trying to emulate is with the pedals on, not off. If you build your own, go with true bypass. If you mod a reissue, as long as your rig doesn't suffer a heavy tone loss in the un-effected mode , the non-true bypass issue won't matter.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

mxr2000

Quote from: Fret WireConverting a Dist.+ reissue to original specs is very easy. All you have to do is change out the silicon clipping diodes for 1N270 Germanium diodes. You will then lose some output volume. Luckily, the reissue uses a 47k volume pot which helps in the volume dept. If there wasn't enough volume after the diode conversion, the output resistor can be lowered to increase volume.

The Dist.+ is also very easy to build from scratch to the original specs. For the Rhodes era, just use a 741 IC, 1N270 diodes, carbon film resistors, ceramic for the caps, except the 1uf's which are tantalum.

As far as True bypass is concerned, the sound you are trying to emulate is with the pedals on, not off. If you build your own, go with true bypass. If you mod a reissue, as long as your rig doesn't suffer a heavy tone loss in the un-effected mode , the non-true bypass issue won't matter.

sorry but i dont have any good electonics skills , i would like to find somebody that could that for me and i just pay for the job?.

Mark Hammer

It's not that hard.  If you can make toast without burning or electrocuting yourself, you can do this...seriously.  Of course if you lack any of the tools and materials, and don't expect to build anything ever, then yes it may well be cheaper to get someone else to do it.

mxr2000

ok who can built for me a MXR distortion+ copy from scratch or mod a  Dunlop MXR Distortion+ reisue to original aspects.?