PAIA Stack-in-a-box tweaks for bass guitar?

Started by davesisk, October 19, 2004, 09:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davesisk

Hi Folks:

Someone at MusicPlayer.com suggested that I post this question here.

I stumbled across www.paia.com the other day and am particularly interested in the Stack-in-a-box tube preamp.  (I'm assuming that since the site is still up they are still in business and still sell the kits they list.)

Anyone who has or has built the PAIA SIAB tube preamp or anyone who has ideas about how to tweak this gadget to be very bass-friendly, please chime in.

I'm toying with the idea of taking this guy and turning it into a foot-pedal form (perfect gadget for running bass direct into a PA and still getting the smooth tube preamp sound). I'm just curious what tweaks would make it more bass-friendly.

Please post if you've got any feedback...

Thanks and regards,
Dave
Dave Sisk

toneman

Hi Dave,
Mainly increasing coupling cap size.
Try a stock SIAB with your bass.
Then, try doubling (or trippling) value
of input, output , and coupling caps.
Like, where 1uf, put 5muf.
Where, point1, put 1ufd  etc.
Not the bypass caps.  Just the signal caps.
See if bass response improves.
Don't have the C-numbers handy.
Also, the SIAB has no tone control.
Also, B sure to check out Frank Clarke's
SIAB HiGain mods.
Can't find i website now.
Was "softwarebalistics.com".
stautuned
ToneB
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

cd

I would build it stock first and see how it sounds, then tweak from there.  IIRC the coupling caps are all sufficiently large enough to prevent low end rolloff (all beyond the range of a guitar, and just a hair into bass range).  You may have to tweak the values of the FAT and BRIGHT switches into a more useful range (or to taste) as well as the cab sim section.

I built one years ago, I'll see if I can dig up my notes on it.  Ohtherwise, when in doubt, use the search tool above.