How do you create sound clips?

Started by RLBJR65, October 20, 2004, 09:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLBJR65

My amp has a preamp output can I just run that to the mic jack on my computer, or is there more to it than that?
Richard Boop

donald stringer

http://guitarists.net/software/index.php This is an informative site that gives you at least several options as to how to create them on your computer. I am still figuring out how to post them to your personal site.
troublerat

markr04

Quote from: RLBJR65My amp has a preamp output can I just run that to the mic jack on my computer, or is there more to it than that?

May I offer some advice? Don't use the 'mic in' on your computer for a line-level signal. That's for low-level inputs. The preamp out of your amp has already brought the signal up to line-level and it should go in to the 'line in' on your computer.
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

RLBJR65

Richard Boop

Gnome

And, for optimal sound, which in many cases is needed for sound-clips, mic the cab, and not use the preamp out from your amp. Usa a SM57 or similar, else is there also preferrable to use a decent recording application. I use Sonar 3, whichy has a very good, noise-free codec.

If you try Windows Sound Recorder you will in many cases have very high noise, and poor sound quality...

GreenEye

I use Cool Edit (I got it from Bear Share about a year ago) for recording and mastering.  Do a google for their site for a free download sampler and info.  Their site also has a great mastering informational section.  A lot of people like Cubase.  Harmony Central has a shareware programs section with free downloads [http://www.harmony-central.com/Software/Windows/audio_editing.html].  If I recall, I liked one called N-Track.

I agree with a mic on the cab. I'm not picky about the mic - I've had some great results recording guitars with a crappy Radio Shack one in the past (but not for vocals).

I use Fruity Loops, Leaf Drums, and Hotstepper (and Hammerhead, for phat beats) for drum machines.  Using these, you can do entire songs.  Fruity Loops is amazing.

I use the free program Music Match Jukebox to convert Wav files to MP3s.  My internet provider has some webspace for uploading the MP3s.

lightningfingers

On that note, how DO you use Sound Recorder? I plug the mic in, hang it over the cab and it doesn't pick up anything....then it says "microphone not detected" or something.....
U N D E F I N E D

markr04

Quote from: GnomeAnd, for optimal sound, which in many cases is needed for sound-clips, mic the cab, and not use the preamp out from your amp. Usa a SM57 or similar, else is there also preferrable to use a decent recording application. I use Sonar 3, whichy has a very good, noise-free codec.

If you try Windows Sound Recorder you will in many cases have very high noise, and poor sound quality...

Mic'ing the cab imparts the sound of the cab on the recording. Some people want it, some don't. I have a dumpy speaker, so I don't want the cab to be a part of the sound. I go preamp to recorder.

I'd like to point out that the only 'codec' use in software is when compressing or expanding a file (mpeg, mp3, etc.). If you're recording .wav files (no data compression) without the software's built-in effects, there will be *no difference* in the recording between software.

The biggest player in sound quality when recording digital audio is the quality of the A/D converters in your sound card, and how well the sound card is isolated from the nasty EMI in your computer. The better sound cards are not 'cards' at all (they have a 'card', but it's merely an interface to the data bus). The conversion takes place in a dedicated enclosure, far from the computer itself. We have racks full of MOTU and Digidesign TDM interfaces. Granted, these are hundreds of thousands of dollars and 99% of people can't afford or justify that cost for recording some guitar clips. But there are less expensive alternatives, some can even be bought at a computer store. Creative has a couple I think.
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

RDV

I do mine on Musicmatch Jukebox and I have to use the Mic in cause I didn't pay the extra $$ to get the line in recording feature. The Mic in is a little tricky to set up but it does a decent job once you get it going, and the editing capabilities are pretty darn good(how did the snippets on my band website). This is how I did the samples from my website on the HMP. I'm going to do some more soon as I'm going to have a radically different sounding EQ on it.

RDV

GreenEye

Lightning:

This may be a dumb answer, but have you double-clicked on the speaker icon on the bottom right of your screen, so that it brings up the windows mixer?  Maybe your mic channel is down or on mute.  Once you get the hang of it, it's a great way to save riffs.  I make up riffs on my electric, then grab my acoustic, quickly set up the computer's lil' mic in front of me under the keyboard, then record my 10 second riff.  I try to save all my riffs - I'm amazed how many great ones I forgot 2 days later.

lightningfingers

Ohh, I see NOW it works! I'm a f :D cking idiot.......

Thanks Greeneye  8)
U N D E F I N E D

RLBJR65

Wow lot's of good input, thanks. I'm only interested in recording clips to post. Glad I asked  :oops: never thought about just recording .wav files, probably won't be the best recording but should do ok.

Better to use an amp sim?      guitar - amp sim - pc line in

Thanks again!
Richard Boop

RLBJR65

Wow lot's of good input, thanks. I'm only interested in recording clips to post. Glad I asked  :oops: never thought about just recording .wav files, probably won't be the best recording but should do ok.

Better to use an amp sim?      guitar - amp sim - pc line in

Thanks again!
Richard Boop

SirPoonga

I just plug my bass directly into the line in on my SB live and use either Guitar FX Box 2.6 or Kristal Audio Engine.