News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Got stripes?

Started by guitarhacknoise, October 21, 2004, 12:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarhacknoise

hello folks!
I was trying to figure out what what these salvaged diodes were.............
  clear glass/black stripe?
I've gotten (bought) 1n34a's which were clear glass/green stripe
      and 1n277's which were kind of a dirty turquoise glass body with a black stripe.
I've also seen clear glass with red and clear with brown.
I guess what I'm asking is .........
  Are ge diodes color coded or .............?

in debt to the knowledge here as always............
-matthias
Man I LOVE these little trailing off dots......................................................................................
"It'll never work."

niftydog

... = ellipsis

There are people in this world who would rip your spleen out of your warm, twitching body for using more than three dots in a row... and in the wrong grammatical context... But I'll let you go this time (because I use it incorrectly all the time as well!!!)

As for diodes; I have no idea, but my gut reaction is that you would not be able to discern one diode from another simply by the colour of it's packaging.

You can however usually discern Si from Ge by simply measuring their forward voltage drop with a DMM. Ge has a low forward voltage drop compared to Si.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

guitarhacknoise

hey man, why you gotta be so violent! lol!

I understand the ge vs. si  forward voltage drop.  I just don't know about these clear glass
diodes with the colored stripe, I actually found another one with a yellow stripe.
not to worry, someone will tell me to fuzz off and die any second.

-matthias
p.s. what would be the proper use of the ellipses?
         (are THEY color coded?) lol

mout!
"It'll never work."

phillip

Yeah it's really hard to tell what the part number of the diode is unless it's printed directly on the glass case.  Usually the glass cases of Germanium diodes are about twice the length and diameter of the regular ol' 1N914 and 1N4148 diodes...and as I've discovered in the past they're also very fragile.  (notice the ellipsis used for an...uh..."dramatic pause"  :D   Hey!  There they are again!)

At any rate, there are some tonal differences between different Germanium diodes.  I was messing around with another version of the OD250/Dist + circuit and the 1N34A seems to be more throaty/bassy than the 1N270 when used as clipping diodes, but then again several other parts in the circuit will also contribute to different tones in different setups.

I also used some Silicon Shottky diodes, which have the same forward voltage as Germanium diodes, but they still exhibited the same aggressive clipping characteristics as the standard 1N914/1N4148 Silicon diodes.

Phillip

niftydog

the proper use is usually when you're quoting someone and wish to omit part of the full quote.

Lets say Bush visited your house and said "Hello Matthias. I'm a devout catholic, you dumbass"

You could quote him and write "Hello Matthias. I'm a... dumbass" and it would be grammatically correct! (However, misleading and ethically wrong! :()

But, as with a lot of things in the english language, it's getting corrupted by American corporations, email, text messaging and teenagers (see 'Weasel words' like "decruiting" and "paradigm" etc). So now it has an unoffical use where you leave the end of a sentance "hanging".

As in;

"Geez I hate that man, I wish I could just go up to him while he's looking the other way, take my crowbar and... So how's the weather down there, Matthias?"

It's a way of making the written language a bit more like the spoken langauge. We often leave sentances hanging because the implied meaning is obvious. It's much harder to do in writting because people tend to read between the lines too much.

Yet a lot of people tend also to just use it as a pause or a partial break in between two related sentances. Most often it's is more correct to replace it with a comma or a semicolon.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

Ed G.

Quote from: niftydog... = ellipsis

There are people in this world who would rip your spleen out of your warm, twitching body for using more than three dots in a row... and in the wrong grammatical context... But I'll let you go this time (because I use it incorrectly all the time as well!!!)

I'm one of those people, otherwise known as a newspaper copy editor. And as for you, you better watch those exclamation marks.

petemoore

Quote from: Ed G.
Quote from: niftydog... = ellipsis

I'm one of those people, otherwise known as a newspaper copy editor. And as for you, you better watch those exclamation marks....WHy, ...are they gonna do tricks???
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

birt

I'll hack this topic for a second!

i've got some diodes that all look different (glass transparent, black, big, small), how do i know wich ones are ge and wich ones si. (what is forward voltage drop?)
and does the it matter a lot wich diode i use in wich circuit? (other than the difference between si and ge)
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

RDV

...........................................................................etc.

:P

RDV

Paul Marossy

I thought another use of the trailing dots was to finish a sentence that never gets finished...

That's my interpretation, and I'm sticking to it!!  :lol:

Johan

Quote from: RDV.............................................................................

...........................................................................etc.

:P

RDV

...just sign your name on the doted line...

Johan
DON'T PANIC

StephenGiles

Just don't lose sight of the Queen's English.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

vseriesamps

My English teacher taught us that three dot ellipses was used to indicate material omitted from the end of a sentence, and four dots was to used to indicate something missing from the end. Three dots plus a regular period, get it?

As for diodes, don't get hung up on what they are or aren't, just put them in a circuit somewhere and see how they sound.

K
uh oh

birt

Quote from: birtI'll hack this topic for a second!

i've got some diodes that all look different (glass transparent, black, big, small), how do i know wich ones are ge and wich ones si. (what is forward voltage drop?)
and does the it matter a lot wich diode i use in wich circuit? (other than the difference between si and ge)

....................... (to satisfy all your dot-needs, now can someone please answer my question? :P )
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

guitarhacknoise

hello again,
  vseriesamps, that's how I thought it was, three in the middle or four at the end, but what do I know..........................................................(ha!)
   I'm  with ya on the "proof's in the puddin' " approach, but I was wondering for future reference. besides, mama always said to make sure you know what yer stickin' in yer box!

Thanks birt!

StephenGiles, not to offend ya but when the todd folks come over to visit, It takes a few days to understand what in da 'ell they are saying, except for the two I knew from when they lived here!
"It'll never work."

niftydog

QuoteI'm one of those people, otherwise known as a newspaper copy editor. And as for you, you better watch those exclamation marks.

WATCH MY EXCLAIMATION MARKS?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!! But this is an internet forum!!!! :!:  :!:  :!:

My god, I am so sorry Matthias.  :(
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

jimbob

Phillip wrote-
QuoteAt any rate, there are some tonal differences between different Germanium diodes. I was messing around with another version of the OD250/Dist + circuit and the 1N34A seems to be more throaty/bassy than the 1N270 when used as clipping diodes, but then again several other parts in the circuit will also contribute to different tones in different setups.

I had the same deaL w my dod250/dist plus. I had put these in expecting the same ol less gain ect..but it gave more bass and retained a decent more amount of gain as well. Im not even sure what kind they were..NOS from SB.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

RLBJR65

guitarhacknoise

I had this problem too, unfortunatly I've never found any info on color bands for diodes. If they sound good use them and if they really sound good go buy some more so you have them, even if you don't know what they are. Most adjust diodes to their personal tastes anyway.

Needing to know what your putting in the box, good thought, however do you actually know anytime unless you test every single component you solder in? Electronic components are kind of like snow flakes no two are exactly the same you can't see or in this case you can't always hear the difference but it's there.

!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:"<>?/.,';][=-...,.,.,.,.~` Hey this is kinda fun!!
Richard Boop

stm

As for different Ge diodes, one thing that changes between different models is the SERIES RESISTANCE.

Appart from the exponential Id (direct current) v/s Vf (forward voltage drop) inherent to Ge, at higher currents the response is also affected by the Series Resistance, producing a difference in sound between different diodes of a same family (like 1N34, 1N60 and 1N270).

For instance, you can try adding a small series resistance with your Ge diodes (around 100 ohms) and you'll hear what I mean.  I'm pretty sure most sonic differences between Ge diodes are related to this.

Now to silicon devices, the 1N4148 is a small signal device, whereas a 1N4001 is intended for carrying continuously currents of up to 1A.  The latter device has a considerably lower series resistance and should clip "harder" than the 1N4148.

The same can be said of Schotky devices 1N5711 (signal) and 1N5819 (power).

As of the band colouring (or is it coloring?) I'm afraid there is no convention.  Sadly, I have bought twice some 1N60 diodes from a local supplier.  The first time I got red stripes.  A couple of months later they were black stripes.  They swear they only carry 1N60 diodes in their stock.  The moral here is the same as for the guy who owns two clocks: you never now which is the exact time!

guitarhacknoise

alright!
   thanks folks,
     RLBJR65, good point to think about: "do you actually know anytime unless you test every single component you solder in? Electronic components are kind of like snow flakes no two are exactly the same you can't see or in this case you can't always hear the difference but it's there. "  I had'nt even thought about it like that, kind of like a title bout of THEORY vs. REALITY. step right up folks and witness the most amazing bowl of pudding ever chilled! But don't take my word for it!

STM, on top of slippin' in a good joke, you delivered some excellent guidance, thanks!

JIMBOB,  That's weird to me, I've heard 'em cut the signal , "boost"the signal and compress the signal , but not jack the bass.  of course this is a LONG road and I'll probably pass that spot some day.
and  NIFTYDOG, thanks man, but no need to be sorry for me, I'm sorry enough on my own! lol!
-matthias
"It'll never work."