Octave up problem with TS-like FX

Started by Phorhas, October 21, 2004, 03:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorhas

Hi
I built a TS-like OD and made the gain 500k(pot) in the FB / 1k(->.22uf) to Vref.

when I set it to high gain, I get an octave up effect on the 1st E string from aroung the 15th fret and up...

Why is that?
How is it delt with?
Electron Pusher

aron

We need to see the schematic. Is it the complete TS schematic? If so, maybe  something is misbiased after the first op amp?

cd

Let me guess, you used assymetrical clipping, right?  If so, the octave up effect is normal.

Phorhas

Thanx for answering guys

QuoteWe need to see the schematic. Is it the complete TS schematic? If so, maybe something is misbiased after the first op amp?

Ok, basically it's a TS with a few changes. it uses the basic gain stage and tone sections and the 808 sections

Voltages on the OA:
8 - 8.46v
4 - 0
1,2,3,6,7 - 4.25
5 (input of first stgae) 4.18v

Q1 (fet buffer):
D:8.50  G:3.78(1M bias res. to Vref)  S:4.13 (3k9)

Q2
C: 8.44  B:3.40  E:2.95

QuoteLet me guess, you used assymetrical clipping, right? If so, the octave up effect is normal.

Yes I did. and in my real TS as well (1n4148/1n4001) and it does that too...

is that the price for asym clipping?
Electron Pusher

cd

Quote from: Phorhas

QuoteLet me guess, you used assymetrical clipping, right? If so, the octave up effect is normal.

Yes I did. and in my real TS as well (1n4148/1n4001) and it does that too...

is that the price for asym clipping?

Yup.  Clip the signal unevenly, more even harmonics = noticeable octave effect at some places on the neck.

Phorhas

I never noticed an octave up in my tube amp
Electron Pusher

aron

darn, good call, I forgot about asymmetrical clipping, but I how asymmetrical? What is the diode string like?

Fret Wire

The 1N4148/1N400x diode combo does sound nice. Awhile back, I measured 25 of each diode to see how much difference there was between similar types.

The variation of each lot was about +/- .010 of the average.
1N4148 - .604
1N4001 - .565
1N4005 - .558
1N4007 - .566
1N270  -  .260
1N34A -  .272
1N60 black case - .264
1N270 black case - .252

Of course, buy another lot of the same types, and the averages will change. The proportional differences will be the same. I haven't done this in large numbers with LED's yet. I'll have to try some standard 3mm & 5mm red, yellow and green types.

Your ears are the final judge, but I wonder how much of a measured voltage difference between diodes you need before you start getting asymmetrical clipping? You can hear the .040 difference between 4148's and 4001's. I doubt you could hear less than that difference. Probably wouldn't be hard to see on a scope or simulation program.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

aron

I tried an LED and Ge and that had was asymmetric, but I got way more octave, misbiased etc... by simply misbiasing the transistor in my Shaka HV.

cd

Don't forget that different diodes clip differently (hard/soft) so even if you match the voltge drop, you're bound to hear a difference compared to two of the same diode.

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Phorhas

what about the pin voltages... they semm ok... are they?
Electron Pusher

cd

Phorhas

I changed the clipping diode to symmrtric pair. it still has an octave up.

shouldn't the voltages on the Gate of Q1 and Base of Q2 be closer to exactly 1/2v ?
Electron Pusher

shtgoosephour20

i know that Ibanez uses symmetric clipping in such pedals as the TS808 and TS9. I know that Boss has a patent on asymmetric clipping which they use in the SD-1 Super Overdrive. So what the differnece? which rocks more? IM goign to mod my SD1 so it has all the TS808 org specs but i might want to keep the asymmetric clipping. just looking for any knowledge about the subject and preference among artists. i play classic rock through a Semi Hollow Body wiht PRS Satana III PUs into a HOt Rod Deville.
ROCKNOUT... Martin
Raven Semi-Hollow w/ PRS Santana III PUs > Morley PWA > CS2 > SD1 > Big Muff PI > Hot Rod Deville 212

highly recommend the Raven...check for them on ebay (mad cheap but rock oh so hard)