Modding my BOSS SD-1

Started by vanhansen, October 21, 2004, 05:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanhansen

Well, I have parts on order and I have the Burr Brown chips in from TI, just waiting for the rest of the stuff to arrive.  I have the info from Fuzz Central on what changes to make based on the Keeley 5-Star Germanium mods.  I've studied the board and it looks simple enough.  I'll be socketing the op amp chip for sure and maybe a few of the caps.

Does anyone have photos of their modded SD-1 they can share and/or provide any tips/advice?  Thanks.

Erik
Erik

dv8

Take your time, espcially in the desoldering process.  I also plugged the pedal in after every component to see if there was any change in the sound.  

I didn't do the led changes, but the BB chip did wonders.  I've think about going back in and modifying the clipping section to have a switch to go from sym to asm.

vanhansen

Thanks.  Yeah, the desoldering I know I'll be careful with.  I have a desoldering braid and a heat clamp so I don't kill the existing parts, especially the stock op amp.  How can I disipate the heat when desoldering the stock op amp?  I don't want to fry it and the clamp I have I don't think will grab the legs.  Would an alligator clip work?  As I mentioned, a socket will be going in its place for the BB.
Erik

Phorhas

I didn't have the BB chips, but I used the 4558 and 5532 with favourable results.

At first I thout the mod was to make the SD1 more like a TS, but it lets more lows into the CRKT.

Useing the diode from an AC187 gave me an actuall FUZZ tone.

Well, my 2 cents :)
Electron Pusher

dv8

I'm sure there are those on the board with much more desoldering experience than me but...

I used RadioShack desoldeing braid and little alligator clips from RadioShack too.  Clip the alligator clips to the pins (or component) you are desoldering.  Stick the braid to the solder, stick the iron to the braid, count to 5, remove iron and braid, blow on the component, let it cool down, repeat if needed, and then move to next component.  Have patience.  It really will make a difference.

The DS-1 mod was even more impressive in cleaning up the background noise.  Phillip really has 2 cool mods (DS-1 and SD-1).

I wish I had made some before and after sound clips. :(

vanhansen

I know how to desolder, no problem there.  Good tips for those not very experienced in it though.   :)  I just wasn't sure if alligator clips would be a good alternative to disipate the heat.  This assures me they should be fine.  I've desoldered caps and resistors and stuff before but not IC chips.  I know from experience in computers that stuff is very sensative to heat and static.  You can kill one very easily.

I can't wait to hear what it sounds like when it's done.  If I can, I may record small bits of it stock, then one piece replaced at a time until it is totally done.  That would be nice for others interested to get a general idea of what to expect.
Erik

ragtime8922

That's a great idea. I haven't seen/heard that done before. Are you saying a clip for each part of the mod? That's very cool.

Fret Wire

For IC's, here's another way that works good is to criss-cross pins when you solder or desolder. That way heat does not build up in one area of the IC. Start on one end, let cool, then the other end of the chip, etc. You can also wet a small piece of paper towel or napkin with cold water and wrap it around the topside of the pins. This will also prevent heat damage.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

vanhansen

Quote from: [email]ragtime8922@aol.com[/email]That's a great idea. I haven't seen/heard that done before. Are you saying a clip for each part of the mod? That's very cool.

Exactly, except I'll record it stock, then change a cap, record it again, change another cap, record it again (two caps changed at this point), change another, record (3 caps now), blah blah blah.  Then, one sample with the stock IC and one with the BB once all the caps and resistors are changed.

Another thought would be to record with just the IC changed to the BB without any other changes. I'll have to make a list. This could end up being alot of sound samples.

This will take me some time.  I pretty much have some time on the weekends.  Having 19 month old takes up alot of your time =)
Erik

rickortega

I just finished that mod. I left out the diode addition because I really didn't want more distortion.

Man..this pedal is my best so far for OD. The actual crunch in front of a tube amp (THD Bivalve) is great. I had a Keeley-modded TS-9 (barf), Reverend Drivetrain II (very good), VS Route 66 new edition with compressor (OK). I just eBayed for another SD-1 and I'll do the same mod with a different LED (blue) and sell the Rev and VS.

jimbob

I think im going to buy the Ds-1 and sd-1 just to do the mods and see how they turn out. Just for one of those " what the hell" kind of things. I thought about socketing these as well and play around with them a bit. I wish i had a way of listening to a modded keeley ect.. and see if the mods sounds anything close to thiers. I see some show up on ebay with these mods from Keeley w the sticker..I have yet to see any that say "Keeley type mod by DIYer"
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

vanhansen

I just got done modding my SD-1.  I recording some small samples along the way in phases.  I have to say, wow, what an improvement.  The mod is what is posted on Phillips site.  It sounds great and drives the hell out of my little Crate GX-15 practice amp.  I have to convert the .wav files to mp3 and then I'll post them for you all to hear.  I didn't notice too much of a difference in the first few phases but right before I changed the op amp, that is where I noticed a difference.  I loved this pedal before but now I love it even more.
Erik

vanhansen

For those interested.  I have some small MP3's that I made while I was modding my SD-1.  You can check them out here:  http://www.erikhansen.net/diy/sd1.htm

Erik
Erik