Open Office Label Design (jjs?)

Started by ryanscissorhands, October 22, 2004, 12:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanscissorhands

Hi, I was wondering if anyone uses Open Office and can help with a problem. I can't figure out how to make text follow around a curve, or rotate it, or do anything but go left to right in a straight line.

jjs, I'm thinking of your MXR Envelope filter (again). I like the look of your text circling the pots, and want to. . .well, copy it. How can I do this?

Thanks.

The Tone God

There is a curve function I belive. Click on the text and hit properties. Under one of the tabs should be a curve text function.

I just vaguely remember something about this. I'll check later and give you details if its possible.

Andrew

The Tone God

I just checked. After you type in text right click and select "fontwork". That should bring up a dialog that lets you curve text.

Andrew

jjs

Im not at home right now, so I type this from memory and can't check, but I think this is how I did it:
1. Write text
2. Change the text into curves (or vectors, or something, cant quite remember how they call it). You find this in the context menu (right click) of the text.
3. In the toolbar (with the drawing tools) there is one button with three quaters of a blue circle on it. It should be right below the line tools. Bring up the submenu of the button (holding left mouse button). There should be options to rotate and stretch.
4. Grab a corner of the text and move the mouse around to change its form.

So in conclusion I didn't work with text transformation functions, but with vector transformations. You can't alter the text after its converted to vectors.

I will confirm this when I come home from university. Hope this helps though.

ryanscissorhands

Thanks. Finally got it to work. Tone God, your suggestion got me curving text, and jjs, your got me to curve it like the UNDERSIDE of a circle. Thanks for the help--the help document was useless.

And by the way, for anyone who cares, this program is sweet.