Amp footswitch/panelswitch...

Started by freebird1127, October 22, 2004, 12:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebird1127

Hey all, hope you're doing well...

So continuing work on my amplifier project, I find myself wanting 2 ways of bypassing/switching-in the built in tube screamer... one being a switch on the front panel of the amp, the other being a 3pdt footswitch plugged into a mono or stereo 1/4" input jack.

Ideally, I'd like the footswitch, when plugged in, to bypass the panel switch completely... you get the idea hey?  Any thoughts on how to do this?  I'm sure it can be done with the right switches and clever wiring, just can't quite figure it out.

Hold no bars on part disposal, and thanks in advance for any help!
Evan Haklar
What's the difference between incompetence and indifference?  I don't know and I don't care!

niftydog

Que? Man, my head hurts from reading your post!

Let me work through this...

You have an amp with a built in TS that is operated via a switch on the amplifier, right?

You also want a footswitch to operate the TS, right?

Ideally, you want the footswitch to over-ride the panel switch, right?

Ok, here's an idea;

Get a "switching socket" for the footswitch connection on the amplifier. These sockets have all the regular connections, plus some switches built in that are operated by the plug being inserted in the socket. Thus you'll be able to effectively disconnect the panel switch when the footswitch is plugged in to the socket.

Don't waste your money on a 3PDT for this job. A SPST should do the trick if you design the circuit right!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

freebird1127

Not a bad idea... where would I get one of those?  

any other ideas??  I already have a bunch of 3pdts anyways
Evan Haklar
What's the difference between incompetence and indifference?  I don't know and I don't care!

niftydog

Quotewhere would I get one of those?

Since I'm not living in your hemisphere, I wouldn't know! But, my "local" electronics store has them on the shelf.

Quoteany other ideas??

It would depend largely on the circuit design of your amp; Namely the switching arangements. I figure the panel switch is a hard wired true bypass? If so, nothing you can do will override the action of that switch short of physically disconnecting it.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)