News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

JINX PEDAL

Started by brian wenz, October 31, 2004, 11:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
  Was wondering if any darlington tranny would work in Tim Escobedo's "Jinx" circuit??  Who has built one?
Thanks!
Brian.

brian wenz

Hello Hello Again--
   Also, wot about the Jfet??  Any 2N's  work in there??
Thanks--
Brian.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
    2N5457 or 2N5458 maybe??
Brian.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
  Jeez.....everybody must be out  trolling for candy bars......
Brian.

petemoore

If it calls for a Darlington, anything high enough gain will work. Without redesigning the circuit you'll probably need a Darlington.
 A high gain Darlington can be made from two high gain transistors like 2n5089 or MPSA18's. See Bass Fuzz article for the wiring diagram for making a Darlingtransistor from two high gainerz.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brian wenz

Hello Hello Pete--
      I know how to make a darlington but I wasn't sure if one were needed for the circuit [I thought maybe Tim or somebody that's built one would chime in....]   I've also got a bunch of 2N5457's laying around and was wondering if I could sub one for Q2.
Thanks.
Brian.

jmusser

I didn't get a notice on my E Mail to tell me you'd been to my thread. I guess it doesn't matter much since I don't that answer anyway. I had scoped out Tim's circuits, and saw that several called for the MPSA13, so I ordered several to have them available. I will probably build his "Phuncgnosis' circuit today. That question there is way over my head, and would take RG or one of the other several gurus to answer. Let me know what your's sounds like when you finally get it built, so I can can compare it to what sounds I got.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Paul Marossy

The Phuncgnosis is a cool one. (I built it  8) )

Tim Escobedo

I used a MPSA13 and  J201. However, i chose them because that's what i had on hand. Other types may work just as well.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
     Thanks!   I guess I'll just socket the trannys and try a homemade darlington and the 2N5457 that I've got laying around.
Brian.

jmusser

Tim, did you get my PM?
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
    O.K., it fired right up with the 2N5457.   One thing, though, when I turn the volume control on the guitar all the way "off"  a lot of hiss comes through.  Jmusser and Tim, does yers have this trait, also??
Thanks-
Brian.

jmusser

No, I haven't noticed any hiss of any kind. The circuits I've built of Tim's so far have been noise free. Maybe it had to do with your choice of Darlington. So... what's the verdict as far as the tones you're getting? Have you noticed any octave up with your circuit? I didn't notice any with mine. How about the nasty fizz/synth aftertaste? That feature is absolutely wicked on mine with the 10K pot turned all the way up. I'm glad it all worked out.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
   I used two BC184LC transistors with a gain of around 800 each.
With the 10K pot all the way up there is gobs of gain and alot of hiss  [especially apparent with the guitar volume turned down to "0".]  
Yeah, maybe the problem is with those trannys.  Tim...where are you??
I haven't noticed any octave-up, but actually I'm pretty discouraged with all the hiss, so I'm going to try to solve that problem first before I put it through any more paces.
Anybody??
Brian.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
   Looks like this thread is about to expire from lack of interest.....
Brian.